Author Topic: What's it like?  (Read 1570 times)

Offline Cherylking

• This is why we can't have nice things.
    • Cheryl King Writes Things
What's it like?
« on: July 10, 2020, 09:20:36 AM »
So when an agent requests a partial or full manuscript, what does that conversation/e-mail look like? Just a sentence? A paragraph of compliments? I need to know what it looks like so I can make my dreams accurate.  ;D
Querying: Sitting on Top of the World

YA historical fiction, 64K words

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
Re: What's it like?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 09:52:29 AM »
Dear Cherylking,

Cheryl, I'd love to have a look at your manuscript. Love the opening scene - your writing is strong and compelling!  I'm looking forward to reading it! However I want to let you know it could take up to a couple of months. My reading list is long right now.

Sincerely,
Agent X

---

Cheryl,

How can I say no to a tiny peek?

Send a chapter and synopsis, and put the title in the subject line, please. But I have a 10-week lead time right now.

-Agent Y

---

Dear Ms. King:

Thank you for sending me a query letter describing your novel.  I would like to take a look at sample chapters (the first 50 pages) of your manuscript.

Please email your submission as a Word document attachment, preceded by your bio and a two-page synopsis (all in one document).  Please make sure your file name contains your manuscript title and not simply “requested material” or “sample chapters”, so I can locate your manuscript easily among all the other submissions I receive every day.  Put “Requested Material” in the subject headline, as well as your full name and the title of your book.  Make sure your manuscript is in Times New Roman font size 12, double space, with 1” margin all around, add page I.D. (your last name and title of your work) on the upper-left corner and page number on the upper-right corner of each page (both in font size 10).

Kindly allow me at least 12 weeks for a reply before contacting me to inquire about your manuscript's status (although I will try to respond sooner).

I look forward to receiving your submission.

Sincerely,

Ms. AgentLastname

Offline Cherylking

• This is why we can't have nice things.
    • Cheryl King Writes Things
Re: What's it like?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 10:03:50 AM »
Thank you, Tabris! I hope to get one of those -- at least one, for the love of God -- sometime soon!
Querying: Sitting on Top of the World

YA historical fiction, 64K words