Author Topic: Non-fiction: Understanding Erotic Hypnosis: the Art of Creating Your Sexual Self  (Read 89 times)

Offline mesmer7

I was writing articles for my web site, to promote my hypnosis recordings. And a couple weeks ago I realized that I'd written 28 articles, approx 30K words. So why not develop them into a book?

I spent the last two weeks developing a book proposal and this query letter. Any feedback is welcome, but I do have a few specific questions:

• I thought the book would fall under the Sexuality or Sexual Health genres. But I don't see any agents representing those genres. Do I query agents looking for Psychology or Self-Help?
  • I've been careful never to reveal my real name on my web site or anything related to erotic hypnosis. I used the pen name for both of my novels. Do I need to mention my real name the query letter/book proposal?
  • My web site only gets 7-8,000 visitors per month. Do I mention it here or just in the proposal's marketing section?
  • I wrote and self-published a couple of novels with a hypnotist as a protagonist. I had no marketing for my novels, so they barely sold 50 copies. Do I even mention them?
  • I don't know what the final word count will be. I've written approx 30k words so far. Depending on agent/publisher feedback, the final word count could be anywhere from 30k- 50k. Do I try to estimate the final count even though the estimate could be way off? And does the query letter need this estimate?
  • I'm terrible at marketing. Is the marketing paragraph any good? How can I improve it?

Hello Mr. Rubie,

Your profile on writersdigest.com states that you're looking for books that help us figure out who we are and where we're possibly going. My nonfiction book, Understanding Erotic Hypnosis (for Your Sex-Positive Life) will help readers understand their sexuality and engage in personal sexual development.

Erotic hypnosis has recently emerged as a new and unique art form. What makes it unique is that people use it for both entertainment and personal development. Individuals use audio files for entertainment and self development, and couples hypnotize each other to enhance their intimacy and share their personal growth. Yet few people understand the versatility of this art or the range of benefits.

I was one of the early pioneers of erotic hypnosis. I began practicing in 1998, and have since written and produced 28 audio files. I've also written 30 articles for my web site, HypnoticDreams.com, which will form the basis of this book. My site currently receives 8,000 visitors per month. I also hold an MS in Technical Communication, and have over 30 years of experience as a technical writer. And my erotic hypnosis CD, The Ultimate Kiss was nominated for an 'O' Award for Outstanding Innovation in the Pleasure Products Industry.

Understanding Erotic Hypnosis is for erotic hypnosis and BDSM enthusiasts. But is also for men, women, and couples who wish to understand and develop their sexuality for personal growth and more satisfying sexual relationships. Enthusiasts have built 6 online communities for discussing erotic hypnosis, and each of these communities include over 20,000 members. Additionally, market research expects that the personal development industry will grow to $13.2 billion by 2022, with book sales accounting for $800 Million.

I believe Understanding Erotic Hypnosis will greatly benefit the intended audiences, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Real name (Pen name)
address
phone
web site
email

Also, where can I get feedback on the book proposal before I start sending it to agents?

Thanks in advanced. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 04:16:18 PM by mesmer7 »

Offline kfcfriend

Re: Understanding Erotic Hypnosis (Non-Fiction)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 07:06:34 AM »
I can't really answer your questions, but I thought if I replied, maybe it'd encourage others to step in!

I think Self Help would be the right genre.

I understand from your blurb that it's a field that's actually called Erotic Hypnosis. Maybe this should be clearer in the title - eg, A Guide to Erotic Hypnosis. For some reason I find the current title a bit too casual. I don't have a view on the subtitle, but it should probably say what the readers will gain

Personally, I would use your own name in the query letter but say that you want the book to be associated only with your pen name.

No idea about the website!

I wouldn't mention the self-published novels

I think you do need a word estimate as they need to know the rough cost of publishing. Surely you can cut down if it turns out longer? Also, I understand that novels, for example, change in length after editing etc after representation, so I don't think it's a big deal if it changes.

I like the marketing paragraph, but I'm clueless!

A few comments below, but this is way out of my expertise, so take with a grain of salt!

Erotic hypnosis has recently emerged as a new and unique art form [I was surprised about art form - do you mean technique?]. What makes it unique is that people use it for both entertainment [this freaked me out a bit; sounds as if people are laughing at other people, so perhaps explain this a bit more] and personal development. Individuals use audio files for entertainment and self development, and couples hypnotize each other to enhance their intimacy and share their personal growth. Yet few people understand the versatility of this art or the range of benefits.

Offline mesmer7

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 12:11:51 PM »
Hi kfc, thanks for the comments.

I definitely mean "Art Form".  I explain it here. Although that article needs to be rewritten for the book. 

Maybe I should change the title? What do you think of these alternate titles?

• The Art of Erotic Hypnosis (for Shaping Your Sex Positive Life)
  • Living Artistically Through Erotic Hypnosis
  • Creating Your Sexual Self Through Erotic Hypnosis
  • Understanding Erotic Hypnosis (and the art of reshaping your sexuality)

I haven't started querying agents yet. So I can still be flexible. Although, without the word 'understanding' in the title, I might lose my part of my target audience, the kink-friendly therapists.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 01:58:09 PM by mesmer7 »

Offline kfcfriend

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 01:12:27 PM »
FWIW, I prefer the first alternative. I like that title!