Author Topic: Changed word count on manuscript?  (Read 356 times)

Offline beckygilbert

Changed word count on manuscript?
« on: August 29, 2020, 11:44:59 AM »
I think I might already know the answer to this question, but I figured I'd ask just in case! If you've sent a query and have yet to hear back, but in the time since you sent it, you've changed/reduced the word count of your MS on the advice of others, is there a non-gauche way to notify the agent of the pending query? I suppose maybe the pending query is just in the winds of fate at this point? ;) It's about a 6000-word reduction, so nothing super-duper drastic (I suppose?), but enough that it might make a difference in whether the agent decides to give it a chance. I have no concept of whether that amount would be a dealbreaker or not, in general!

If anyone has advice or experience with this situation, it would be great to hear. :)

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
Re: Changed word count on manuscript?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 01:19:49 PM »
No, don't update a query. If the agent requests the manuscript, just send it at the current word count and that'll be fine.

Ideally they'd want to believe you waited until it was perfect and couldn't possibly improve before querying them, so maintain that illusion. ;-) 6K isn't significant enough to let them know.

Offline beckygilbert

Re: Changed word count on manuscript?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 02:29:54 PM »
Thank you so much, Tabris! That's what I figured, but it's really nice to have another opinion. :)