Author Topic: I got signed, but then . . .  (Read 653 times)

Offline amyina68

I got signed, but then . . .
« on: September 22, 2020, 02:36:42 PM »
About two years ago, I finally got an agent for my YA novel. I'd been querying for months and had gotten a few full requests. In the end, I had two offers: One from an agent who was listed here on QT, the other who wasn't (her agency is overseas). I chose the overseas agent because she had excellent experience and had once been an editor at a well-known big publishing company. The other agent was very inexperienced.

But it didn't go well. Here's what happened . . .

I should have known right away something wasn't right -- my new agent never asked to talk to me on the phone. She never asked me to make any revisions to my novel. She packed up the pitch and began sending it out right away to some of her publishing contacts. We got several full requests right off the bat. Then it died out. Some of the editors never wrote her back. I found some editors and small publishers I wanted to send to, and she did, but she never sent me the rejections she received.

Meanwhile, I began another novel using a premise she liked. I worked on it for over a year but seldom heard from her. (I only heard from her when I wrote in to make contact.) She was nice but didn't seem to care about me any longer. Never did she update me about the status of the novel she was representing or advise revision.

With my new novel finished, I entered it in an a contest for unpublished manuscripts and it came in second. Suddenly, I was worried about giving the manuscript to my agent. In my heart I knew the same thing would happen again, so I decided to break up with her. When I sent her the break-up message, I also asked for a list of places she'd sent the novel she'd represented, and she did.

The rejection feedback was pretty positive. One imprint had come really close to making an offer, but she never told me about this or even sent me the feedback. She'd sent the novel to about 25 places, but about half were places I'd asked her to send to. She'd done very little work on her own and had basically dropped the ball after the novel didn't sell right away. Then she just ignored me.

So that's my story. I am now with the new novel and querying again. A few full requests so far! Good luck to us all.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 03:55:45 PM by amyina68 »

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
Re: I got signed, but then . . .
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 07:05:01 PM »
Good luck! It's good that you went with your gut about not staying with the agent. A bad fit is a bad fit, and you did a brave thing that's ultimately in the best interests of your career.

Offline amyina68

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 09:59:32 AM »
Thanks for the reply! Yes, it never felt right with her. It's so much like a love relationship -- you know someone is bad for you, but you don't want to be single again  :)

Offline MegTravelz

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 07:00:06 PM »
That sounds beyond incredibly frustrating, and I'm sorry that happened to you. There was no way to tell, either! Seems like you did your research, and they had a good reputation :( Wishing you the best of luck as you move forward!!