Author Topic: Referral dilemma  (Read 619 times)

Offline eroux

Referral dilemma
« on: September 24, 2020, 02:01:29 PM »
I've just received a very kind rejection on a full from an agent (Agent A) I was excited about. She doesn't feel she can represent my book, but has referred me to another excellent agent (Agent B), at a different agency. The problem is, I already have a query with another agent (Agent C) at the agency that Agent A referred me to. This agency, like most, requests that you only query one of their agents at a time.

What is the etiquette here? Can I query Agent B right away? Do I mention I have my query in with Agent C? Do I wait? What if I never hear back from Agent C and I'm just in limbo forever?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 02:04:14 PM by eroux »

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
Re: Referral dilemma
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 03:31:14 PM »
I would wait until Agent C had the query six weeks and then query Agent B.

UNLESS the rejecting agent has already mentioned you to Agent B. If she did that, then you kind of need to query her now before she forgets you.

Offline eroux

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 07:52:45 PM »
Tabris, thank you! That's basically what I was thinking so it's good to hear. Agent C has had the query for six weeks as of this week so I think I'll query Agent B tomorrow since Agent A said she mentioned my book to Agent B and I want to get in touch with her while it's fresh on her mind.

Karma for you, and a very nice bottle of rosé for me tonight!

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 05:45:42 AM »
Good luck! It's very exciting that you got a personal referral. :-)

Offline eroux

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 01:15:04 PM »
It sure is! Fingers crossed...

Offline eroux

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 10:22:39 AM »
Well, I sent out this referral with great hope in my heart back in September, and I never heard a word. I should probably just move on, but the one tiny brain cell I have left is urging me to follow up. The agency has a "no response means no" policy, so I'm thinking that's probably a dumb idea, even with the glowing referral. It's just so dang disappointing.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 10:27:09 AM by eroux »

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 11:31:05 AM »
I'm sorry. That's hard. :-(

Well, at least you know it's not just writers they ignore. Apparently this agent also ignores other agents.

Offline gushags16

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 12:29:43 PM »
I might be in the minority on this. I generally don't nudge on queries, but this is a referral. I see no reason why you can't send this agent a short, businesslike email.

Subject: Referral from Agent A: TITLE OF BOOK

Dear Agent:

Agent A thought you might like my book and I just wanted to touch base and to make sure you'd seen my query for TITLE, a [logline of the book]. I'm happy to resend if you missed it.   (Something like that??)

Best regards,
Author

Although I would send this in mid-January. I'm hearing now is not a good time and you might as well wait till then to not get lost.

Offline eroux

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 09:52:05 AM »
gushags16, that's a brilliant idea. What do I have to lose, right?

Tabris, ha!!