Author Topic: Question regarding talking about sales in queries  (Read 431 times)

Offline FredG

Question regarding talking about sales in queries
« on: October 21, 2020, 12:05:16 PM »
Hello

I have a question regarding sales. I'm looking for an agent for my first book in English (translated from French) and I'd like to know if I should talk about who much sales this book has made in France. Is it useful? What is consider as a good number?
Thank you  ;D

Offline littlewritings

Re: Question regarding talking about sales in queries
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 02:02:49 PM »
Did you self-publish or was your book published by a publishing house in France?

Operating under the assumption that you self-published: I've seen different numbers for how well self-published books sell on average. Is there any way to figure out what the average sales numbers for books in French are? Then you can compare your numbers to those and see if they're close. If they compare well, you can mention it and say that your book sold well in your particular market.

I think even if you don't mention your sales, an interested agent would likely still ask you for the numbers before they even consider signing you.

(A fair warning: Generally, agents are reluctant to sign on projects that have been published before, although this might be different in this case since the book has been published in a different language.)

Offline FredG

Re: Question regarding talking about sales in queries
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 02:49:03 PM »
Thanks for your answer.  :)
The book that's translated was self published, but I published with publishing houses as well.
I know that in France, for self publishing, 1000 is already a great number, but I guess it's very small compared to the English market.

(I know, but I really don't know how to self publish in another country by myself, I have no idea about the market and all  :'()