Author Topic: Should I query an agent whose offer of rep I turned down 7 years ago?  (Read 293 times)

Offline Back in the saddle...

7 years ago I had 3 offers of rep from different agents, two of whom I had to turn down.
Choosing an agent was SO stressful and I can't help but think - I probably chose the wrong one.
I've recently just left that agent I originally chose and am looking again - but feel completely weird about querying the agent I probably SHOULD have chosen way back then. It seems like it was a lifetime ago.
- Do I query them and not mention that she had made a previous offer 7 years ago that I turned down? I don't remember a lot from 7 years ago. ;)
- Do I query them and mention it? (Not sure how I would do this without it being completely awkward)
- Or do I just leave them alone and look elsewhere? I did really like her - it was just an impossible decision.
Any thoughts on what you'd do if you were in my situation?
Thanks!

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
Re: Should I query an agent whose offer of rep I turned down 7 years ago?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 01:02:38 PM »
Query the agent again. Mention that they offered on X manuscript in 2014. 

Dear Ms. Lastname,

I'm not sure if you remember me, but you offered me representation in 2014 for my novel An Awesome Horse about a character who finds an awesome horse and overcomes great obstacles with her horse.

I'm back to querying, and I wanted to reach out to you first with my new novel, An Incredible Duck.

Ducky is a teenage mallard with a problem....(rest of the pitch)

They understand business decisions. Agents get turned down all the time--not just by writers, but also by editors, editorial boards, and even other agencies. It's more weird if you don't mention that you previously had an offer than if you do.

Good luck!

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 01:04:00 PM »
BTW, if the agent asks you why you split with the previous agent, don't respond with any venom. Keep it as bland and businesslike as possible. "We parted ways because it looked like my career was heading in a different direction than she envisioned."

Offline jcwrites

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 06:01:37 PM »

"... a teenage mallard with a problem...."

I like it, I like it.

Offline Back in the saddle...

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 07:24:03 PM »
So perfect!!! Thanks so much. And you know I'm dying to hear about that teenage mallard...  :clap:

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 07:09:26 AM »
So perfect!!! Thanks so much. And you know I'm dying to hear about that teenage mallard...  :clap:

I'll let you know when it's published. ;-) It's #4 in the series behind An Amazing Otter and A Fantastic Woodchuck.