Author Topic: How long to wait before considering it CNR?  (Read 798 times)

Offline Viddiest

How long to wait before considering it CNR?
« on: November 20, 2020, 03:19:21 AM »
Hello!
I am pretty new to the process, so would love to know your answers. At what point after you've sent out a query do you consider it dead, say your goodbyes to the agent and move on?

Thanks for responding!

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
Re: How long to wait before considering it CNR?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 06:26:08 AM »
If they specify a timeperiod, that's easy--you go with that.

When they don't specify a timeperiod, the rule of thumb is 6 weeks on a query (or after two nudges on a partial or a full).

When I saw that an agent had like a .01% request rate and never sent responses, I would mark it C/NR the same day I sent it, that way I wouldn't ever have to come back to it unless they requested.  ;D

Offline JeanneG

• Jeanne Lyet Gassman
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 10:46:20 AM »
It could be longer than normal. I've been hearing that responses are much slower due to agents working at home and Covid. Someone I know heard yesterday from two different agents she queried last spring. One was a rejection, and the other was a request for a full!

JeanneG
Debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press) released in March 2015; winner of IPPY in national category of religious fiction and currently a finalist for IAN Book of the Year. My work-in-progress: THE DOUBLE SUN.
FB: https://www.facebook.com/JeanneLyetGassman
Twitter: @JLyetGassman

Offline littlewritings

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 06:34:26 AM »
I went with:

Queries:
If they stated a timeframe: that plus two weeks because of the general state of the world
If they didn't state a timeframe: 3 months

Requests:
with timeframe: that plus two weeks
no timeframe: 3 months (first nudge), 6 months (second nudge)

Offline mesmer7

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 03:08:43 PM »
I went with:

Queries:
If they stated a timeframe: that plus two weeks because of the general state of the world
If they didn't state a timeframe: 3 months

Requests:
with timeframe: that plus two weeks
no timeframe: 3 months (first nudge), 6 months (second nudge)

Do those times apply to queries sent through QueryManager, or just email queries?

Offline littlewritings

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 01:17:04 AM »
I used those times for all agents that said something like "If you don't hear from me (within X weeks/months), consider it a pass" for both email and QueryManager queries. Although I'll say that there's definitely people who are more patient than I am and people who CNR way faster than I did as well.

Offline Sonya Bright

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 05:48:42 AM »
It could be longer than normal. I've been hearing that responses are much slower due to agents working at home and Covid. Someone I know heard yesterday from two different agents she queried last spring. One was a rejection, and the other was a request for a full!

JeanneG

^^^^ Yes. Everything in publishing has slowed down. I wouldn't give up after a normal period of time. Everyone's struggling, and you need extra patience this year. :(

Offline President Pumpkin

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 05:11:55 PM »
I wonder if it makes sense to wait until January before sending out more queries. I submitted to three agents over a month ago, two of whom had requested work from me in 2019. I met one at a conference and another wrote to me at my website. It seems strange that they wouldn't at least respond to a query (even if to reject), since they seemed interested. But it is a crazy year...

Any one else going to hit the pause button for the holiday season?

Offline boxofredpens

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 01:58:14 PM »
President Pumpkin, I’m in the same boat. I sent out requested materials to agents I’ve met at conferences and have heard nothing. I wonder if those queries are worth nudging in the new year? It does seem odd to not receive even a simple form reply.

I’d planned to send more queries out this week, but am thinking the new year is the best shot at this point!

Offline President Pumpkin

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2020, 01:39:18 PM »
It doesn't hurt to nudge, so why not? I think I will when I'm ready to send out the new batch of queries early next year, just in case my query got lost. It probably didn't, but I'm sure it happens every so often.

Good luck with the submission process next year! I hope we all have a better go of it in 2021.

Offline boxofredpens

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2020, 08:38:53 AM »
Wishing you the best of luck too, President Pumpkin! Thank you! I hope we all do, too!

Offline rivergirl

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2020, 05:45:40 AM »
I just got a positive response after 2 1/2 months of waiting. I’ve never been a nudger. In my view, if they are interested they will respond and if they don’t, they don’t.

Offline Viddiest

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2020, 11:54:42 PM »
That's great, rivergirl. All the best.

I am getting more responses now than in November. Lots of rejections but also 1 full and 1 partial, so I am planning to just keep querying through December slowdown and all. :)