Author Topic: I signed with a publisher  (Read 1715 times)

Offline Cherylking

• This is why we can't have nice things.
    • Cheryl King Writes Things
I signed with a publisher
« on: November 22, 2020, 08:58:21 PM »
UPDATE: My book, Sitting on Top of the World, releases tomorrow, June 15th! Here are some links:
https://www.amazon.com/Sitting-Top-World-Cheryl-King/dp/1954403690/
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/57750396-sitting-on-top-of-the-world
https://bookshop.org/books/sitting-on-top-of-the-world/9781954403697

I signed with a small publisher that liked my #Pitmad pitch back in September. They haven't made an official announcement yet, so I'm not going to name the publisher, but it's a brand-new company, making this a bit risky. Maybe a lot risky. But I'm excited and will hope for the best! It's my debut novel, YA historical fiction, and the tentative release date is June 15.

UPDATE: The small publisher I signed with is City Limits Publishing, citylimitspublishing.com. I am waiting for revisions to come back from the editor, and my release date is still set for June 15. So far so good!

« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 04:50:03 PM by Cherylking »
Querying: Sitting on Top of the World

YA historical fiction, 64K words

Offline novelista

Re: I signed with a publisher
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 01:13:56 AM »
Congratulations, Cheryl! That's fantastic news.

Offline Cherylking

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 02:49:19 PM »
Thank y'all! I'm super excited!

Offline richardclin

• Richard C Lin - Author Website
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 04:36:32 AM »
Congratulatoins, Cherylking. So proud of and happy for you.

May I ask, how has it been working with City Limits? And did you have your MS with agents at the time? How did you handle this situation?

I've got my MS with about 15 agents now and two small publishers. I'm not sure whether I will receive an offer for publication from the two publishers, but I wonder what is the protocol with the agents if on the off-chance I do.

Sincerely,

RCL

Offline Odd John

• Odds are even odds.
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 10:33:09 AM »
I've heard of them... beautiful! Keep us in the loop re: editing demands, how's the cover?, and release date!
My inferiority complex masks my superiority complex. It's very convenient.

- John

Offline Cherylking

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 04:45:55 PM »
Congratulatoins, Cherylking. So proud of and happy for you.

May I ask, how has it been working with City Limits? And did you have your MS with agents at the time? How did you handle this situation?

I've got my MS with about 15 agents now and two small publishers. I'm not sure whether I will receive an offer for publication from the two publishers, but I wonder what is the protocol with the agents if on the off-chance I do.

Sincerely,

RCL

Hi, and sorry for the delay in responding! I haven't been on QT in a while. It's been a stressful process, but I am thrilled with my cover, and my book releases tomorrow!

To answer your questions, when I got the offer from CLP, I had some outstanding queries with agents and other small publishers, so I contacted them all to let them know about the offer. One publisher responded with an offer, and two agents responded that they wanted to see my manuscript and arrange a call. One of the agents was embroiled in some controversy at the time, and after speaking with her, I didn't feel we would be a good match. The other agent seemed to want to sell me her contract-review service, so I decided I don't need an agent, and I simply chose between the two publishers.

Now I've finally made it through to the other side!

Offline Cherylking

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 04:52:28 PM »
I've heard of them... beautiful! Keep us in the loop re: editing demands, how's the cover?, and release date!

So, editing demands -- there wasn't much editing. I don't fault City Limits; they're a small publisher with limited staff. I have an editing background, so I wasn't worried, but if I didn't have that background knowledge, I'd feel lost.
I do love the cover, and I loved that they involved me a lot in its design. Release date is tomorrow (June 15th)!

Offline richardclin

• Richard C Lin - Author Website
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 06:48:32 PM »
Werm and hearty congratulations to you, Cheryl! I'm so excited for you for the launch of your book and will check it out online.

Best wishes to you for an extraordinarily successful launch!