Author Topic: Looking for Scary Modern Horror  (Read 159 times)

Offline floydnerd93

Looking for Scary Modern Horror
« on: December 11, 2020, 02:49:25 PM »
Has anyone read some modern horror that freaked them out?

I'm up to date on King, and I've read some other contemporary stuff, most recently LAKEWOOD by Megan Giddings. It was good, I just wasn't scared by it. Strangely, that's something I'm coming across a lot in modern horror -- it's more suspenseful than unnerving, which is fine, but not quite what I'm looking for.

I need something that will make me afraid to turn off the lights. I don't care if it's pulpy, atmospheric, gothic, what have you. Just scare the hell out of me, and I'll be a happy dude.

Offline jonny_555

• I live in the UK but aim to publish in the US
Re: Looking for Scary Modern Horror
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 05:59:22 AM »
Not to inflate my biceps here, but I am yet to read a single book that actually scares me. I've read all of King's work (up to Mr. Mercedes), about 50% of Koontz's work, and a number of horror novels by modern authors, and I enjoyed most of them, I just wasn't truly scared.

If the book is rooted in a true story (like The Exorcist, which I know is arguably fiction, but these things do happen), then it will unsettle me for sure. But scared from a work of pure fiction? Not happened yet.

If I had to pick a stand out moment from King that unsettled me, it is the death of Gage. And only because as a father, the thought of harm falling onto my kids is a constant worry.

Offline Odd John

• Odds are even odds.
Re: Looking for Scary Modern Horror
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 10:50:49 AM »
I can't refer you to what you call "modern horror" since I've also been disappointed. But you might have missed these classics:

I HAVE NO MOUTH AND I MUST SCREAM, Harlan Ellison
The title doesn't say it all.

SHAMBLEAU, C.L. Moore
Classic vampire, yet different.

WHO GOES THERE?, John Carpenter
The original novella. So long as you've never seen any of THE THING movies.

Most anything by Richard Matheson, I can't decide. He wrote the episode Nightmare At 10,000 Feet from the Twilight Zone (Gremlin on the airplane wing), also Little Girl Lost, either the recognized basis for POLTERGEIST, or he was ripped off. It was much better than the movie.

All of these gave me fear-sweat and goose bumps!

I'd recommend the Ellison first. Good luck!  :yes:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 11:05:40 AM by Odd John »
My inferiority complex masks my superiority complex. It's very convenient.

- John