Author Topic: How to handle moving on from agent queries to publisher queries  (Read 320 times)

Offline anwynnauthor

How to handle moving on from agent queries to publisher queries
« on: December 28, 2020, 11:55:05 AM »
Although I still have a few fulls out with agents and a few queries out that could conceivably get a request, I have sent to all the agents that I think I should for my current manuscript, and I'm starting to wonder if it is the kind of book that might be better suited to a smaller press that will work directly with authors.

If the agents with the mss pass, I plan on waiting until I've given all the queries the time the agents list for responses or 8 weeks if they don't list a time before I move on to querying publishers. However, I've gotten responses from agents, both requests and rejections, much, much later than expected before, so I wonder if I should contact them to say that I plan to start submitting to publishers soon, but wanted to check in with outstanding queries first.

Does that sound reasonable? What would y'all advise I do? and if I do "check in," how long am I supposed to wait for that response? I don't want to get stuck waiting another 2 months. I don't want to waste too much time strung out over this manuscript, as the querying process tends to really slow down my normal writing productivity, not to mention seriously add to my stress levels... if it isn't going to happen for this book, the sooner I know definitively, the better. Then I can accept it and devote my full energy to writing something better.

Offline rivergirl

Re: How to handle moving on from agent queries to publisher queries
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 06:52:03 PM »
I'd personally give it eight weeks and then move on. Remember, your query is going to sit in a slush pile for a very long time and somebody might or might not look at it (as I understand it). If a publisher happens to pick you up before an agent, that's a win-win in my book. A quick note to your pending agents is all that is needed. Your time as an author is valuable. Send out to publishers and start working on your next project.

Online littlewritings

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 01:22:18 AM »
My advice would be to just leave the queries open while you submit to publishers. If you get an offer from a publisher, you can still contact those agents and tell them you have an offer. There's a chance that an agent will then read your book, like it and offer rep.

If you even still want to have an agent to negotiate that contract for you is obviously entirely up to you, but even though the agent will get a cut (15%), they might still be able to negotiate a better deal on your behalf than you ever could by yourself. Either way, if you do end up going with a smaller press, make sure you know what you're signing if they want to buy your book.

Offline jcwrites

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 07:34:29 AM »

Either way, if you do end up going with a smaller press, make sure you know what you're signing if they want to buy your book.

This.

Offline anwynnauthor

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 09:53:17 AM »
Thanks everyone!

I'm starting to lean toward just leaving the agent queries open and moving forward with publisher queries (after waiting the 8 weeks so that agents don't feel offended--if they end up interested, that is). No need to stretch this out any longer by sending check-in emails that might not even get read. I have limited time outside of work and family obligations as it is, and my work in progress deserves the extra energy I could give it if I let myself move on!