Author Topic: Namrata Anirudh (The Glass Slipper Agency)  (Read 205 times)

Offline mindym

Namrata Anirudh (The Glass Slipper Agency)
« on: January 23, 2021, 07:14:00 PM »
Hello!

Has anyone heard of Namrata Anirudh from The Glass Slipper Agency? She looks like a newer agent branching out from the more legal/editorial side of things, but I don't think she's had any sales, from what I can find. Looks like she's been in the business for ~ 6 months.

I have a call set up with her, and I don't want to discriminate just because she's new (so am I!!!!), but I've seen so many horror stories from other writers that I'm not quite sure what to do...

Thanks!

Mindy

Online littlewritings

Re: Namrata Anirudh (The Glass Slipper Agency)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 01:35:39 AM »
Hi! I just had a look at their website and I have to say, you should be very, very careful with this one.

At first glance, here are the red flags I saw:
- The agent lists no previous experience *as an agent* in their bio. Having a ton of experience in other fields is great, but it doesn't help anyone with doing the job of a literary agent. When an agent starts a new agency by themself, they should have several years of experience as an agent and they should have established clients. A new agent is usually only a safe bet when they're with an already established agency and have mentors they can ask for help. (And new agents are great! Just not when they don't have any guidance from someone who's been in the business for a while.)
- That agent has no clients listed on their website. That might mean they don't have any. In any case, a successful agent would have them listed to show querying authors "Hey, look, I'm good at what I'm doing". Not having them listed says the opposite.
- The agent lists a *ton* of genres they're interested in. I'm not sure if it's actually possible for them to have connections with editors at major houses for all those genres, especially because they're a fairly new agent.
- And then they also offer editorial services on their agency website, which to me is a big, big yikes.

My advice would be: Run! I know it's so, so exciting to have a call set up, but this agent looks like the kind that will only hurt your career in the long run. You can still talk to them, but if you do: Ask them about their previous experience as an agent, ask them what exact contacts they have at *major* publishing houses, ask to see their contract/agency agreement and make sure they won't charge you (other than the regular 15% that every agent gets as soon as their client's work makes money), ask them about their other clients and if they have any, ask if you can talk to one or even several of them.

This advice gets repeated a lot all over but it's so true: Having a bad agent is worse for your career than having no agent. Whatever you decide to do in the end, I wish you the best of luck with this journey!

Offline mindym

Re: Namrata Anirudh (The Glass Slipper Agency)
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 07:41:51 AM »
Thank you! I'm getting similar feedback from Twitter, which is super insightful but pretty disappointing, not going to lie!!! Luckily I still have another full out and a partial, so fingers crossed that one of those pulls through!