Author Topic: An agent with my full just got fired - UPDATED  (Read 1401 times)

Offline gellisbarber

An agent with my full just got fired - UPDATED
« on: January 25, 2021, 10:43:55 AM »
Now what? Should I withdraw the manuscript on QM? Will it hurt my prospects with that agency that the booted agent had requested my full? It appears it was over politics and I actually think it is very unlikely that this agent would have made an offer anyway (or that I would have accepted it) given our differences.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 11:54:16 AM by gellisbarber »

Offline MsGretaGreen

Re: An agent with my full just got fired
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 11:42:18 AM »
Sorry to hear that (for you, not the agent with problematic politics!). Can you reach out to another agent at the same agency, and see if they might be interested in your manuscript? They might be more likely to, just knowing you had a coworkers interest.

Offline wantonwing

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 04:49:49 PM »
Just wanted to say I'm in the same exact boat. It was the same agent, I think. I have no clue how to proceed from here, so I'm very interested in what you do!  ;D

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 09:11:03 AM »
I suggest reaching out to another agent at the same agency as well as keeping an eye out for wherever the requesting agent lands. At that point, remind them that they'd requested the full and see if they're still interested.

(Bearing in mind that if the agent was fired for cause...you might consider yourself as having dodged a bullet, and don't follow up with the ex-agent.)

Offline gellisbarber

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 07:55:43 PM »
Just wanted to say I'm in the same exact boat. It was the same agent, I think. I have no clue how to proceed from here, so I'm very interested in what you do!  ;D

Well, I had made up my mind to withdraw the manuscript and requery someone else at the agency and then I saw that the person I had my eye on suddenly closed to queries, ostensibly because the agents are getting harrassed over the whole thing. I am super frustrated right now.

Offline mindym

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 08:09:34 AM »
In general, I think if there's something about your manuscript that appealed to one agent, it should appeal to more!!! I know it's hard, but back in the query trenches might be the way to go.

I suspect you might get lucky again :)

Offline Prophecies

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 06:06:47 PM »
Sorry to hear that (for you, not the agent with problematic politics!). Can you reach out to another agent at the same agency, and see if they might be interested in your manuscript? They might be more likely to, just knowing you had a coworkers interest.

There's nothing 'problematic' about being a conservative Christian who uses alt-tech (aka, firms that dare to rival Silicon Valley). The agency made a big mistake in firing her, and may face a lawsuit for wrongful dismissal.

All I'm saying, don't dismiss an agent because you disagree with them, particularly for fiction. I happen to be a conservative, and there's no way I'm ignoring large swaths of literary agents. Intellectual diversity is important.

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 09:11:25 AM »
I finally found out who you guys are talking about, and I agree with the decision not to query anyone else at this agency.

It doesn't sound as if the agent was fired because of specific things posted on these platforms -- only having joined the platforms. If the agent had posted hateful or violent things, then yeah. But just for being there?

It's entirely possible the agent was let go for reasons we're not privy to. We don't know if she spent her entire tenure at the agency complaining about the offices, or if she was spreading gossip, or if she was a terrible negotiator, or if she said terrible things about the agency owner's spider plants. It may be the reason she provided isn't entirely accurate, and the agency may not want to clarify under advice from their attorneys. Who knows?

Offline Prophecies

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2021, 04:21:39 PM »
This is certainly a frustrating part of agencies using Twitter / public social media for HR announcements.

Offline wantonwing

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 11:47:35 AM »
I thought it might be helpful to note that I asked what I should do in the comments section of her QueryTracker profile. Here's the helpful response I received from another user:

When something like this occurs, the agency usually follows-up and lets hopefuls know what has happened. Either other agents will review the queries and requested materials for potential representation, or the agency will ask you to query another agent to your liking. Sadly, this also happens if an agent passes away suddenly. Right now, the agency is in damage-control mode and is deciding what to do next. No one wants this kind of press. No one.

Give them time. This is one of those agencies that always follows-up. And good luck!

Also, for any lurkers out there, the agent is Colleen Oefelein. I feel bad Tabris didn't know who we were talking about. Might as well be straightforward about it. :)

Offline Miss Plum

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 02:26:31 PM »
My experience with a similar situation (my agent quit the agency... and the literary biz altogether): my project completely fell through the cracks and now I'm back in the slush piles of New York.

Really frustrating, and one of the hazards of the writer's life.

Offline gellisbarber

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2021, 11:29:16 AM »
I thought it might be helpful to note that I asked what I should do in the comments section of her QueryTracker profile. Here's the helpful response I received from another user:

When something like this occurs, the agency usually follows-up and lets hopefuls know what has happened. Either other agents will review the queries and requested materials for potential representation, or the agency will ask you to query another agent to your liking. Sadly, this also happens if an agent passes away suddenly. Right now, the agency is in damage-control mode and is deciding what to do next. No one wants this kind of press. No one.

Give them time. This is one of those agencies that always follows-up. And good luck!

Also, for any lurkers out there, the agent is Colleen Oefelein. I feel bad Tabris didn't know who we were talking about. Might as well be straightforward about it. :)

That was a very helpful comment. Thank you.

Also, I wasn't trying to be shady about which agent it was. I just didn't want the thread to derail into a conversation about why she got fired and stray from the general question of what happens now in this type of circumstance.

Offline wantonwing

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2021, 02:26:15 PM »
Of course! I'm sorry because I definitely didn't mean to imply you were being shady. I understand why you avoided mentioning her name and, in light of the other comments on her QT profile, it seems you made a good decision.

Offline gellisbarber

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2021, 11:53:57 AM »
I was in contact with Erin Clyburn at JDL today. She said people with outstanding queries/submissions are free to query other agents at the agency. They have been in contact with Colleen's clients though.

Offline Viddiest

Re: An agent with my full just got fired - UPDATED
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2021, 05:05:21 PM »
That's great news. Wish you good luck!