Author Topic: Is it even worth trying?  (Read 491 times)

Offline dianah

Is it even worth trying?
« on: January 29, 2021, 12:16:29 PM »
Hello,

I'm from Romania, trying to find an agent in England or US. I wonder if it is even worth trying, as my location obviously makes everything more complicated...
If I was some kind of genius, maybe it would not matter  :), but I'm not, I just think I have a good story and I'm doing a decent job of telling it.
Has anyone from another country had some success? That would give me hope and motivation to keep sending my work to agents...

Thanks.

Offline redseafish

Re: Is it even worth trying?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 12:46:03 PM »
I'm a UK citizen living in Egypt and I'm sending off to US and UK agents (predominantly UK). I think it's fine to submit as long as there's nowhere on the agency site that says they don't accept submissions from other countries. I also worried about sending to US agents, but then I read something saying that many US agents sign UK authors. In any case, with the lockdown, it doesn't really matter where you live. I did see an agent saying that with the internet it absolutely wasn't necessary for someone to be in the same country. I'd press on!

I do put in my cover letter that I'm a UK citizen living in Egypt, as I feel the information is relevant.

Having said all that, I have had no success whatsoever with my queries and I'm wondering whether my entire concept is too flawed. But I'm still pressing on until my next one is ready to send off (I keep on thinking it's almost there, but then I think - just one more edit... LOL).

Offline mindym

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 01:28:56 PM »
It does not matter where you are based geographically. If you write in a language other than English might be more complex, but physical location does not matter to almost all agents...at least, not one I've seen

Offline dianah

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 01:42:45 PM »
Thank you so much for your reply. I also had no success so far, but I understood it can take a lot of time...as long as I believe in my story I will keep sending them.
Good luck to you all!

Offline jonny_555

• I live in the UK but aim to publish in the US.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 02:50:18 PM »
My very first forum comment!

I am told by editors and agents that it does not matter where you are based. It only matters if your can write well in the language of the market you are aiming for.

My only caution, and this is my assumption and not fact, is that face to face meetings, book tours and promotion, and tax and finance admin will make it harder to manage. This might deter some agents.

EDIT: in case my last sentence was discouraging, I truly mean SOME as in a small few. So many agents rep authors in other countries. Plus, it is common for successful authors to be so at a global level. In fact, your situation will bring something unique to the market ;)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 02:28:15 AM by jonny_555 »
Find the blessing in your curse

Offline DougD

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 01:39:33 AM »
Covid has taught people that it doesn't matter where you're based. If there ever was a time for someone outside of USA to have a US agent and publisher, it is now.