Author Topic: How many agents do you query?  (Read 328 times)

Offline SanktaLucia

How many agents do you query?
« on: January 31, 2021, 07:45:30 AM »
Hi everyone! Sorry if this question has been posed elsewhere--I'm new to the forum. I'll be going into my second round of querying soon and was wondering how many agents, on average, do you all query before stopping (whether to revamp query or to rewrite ms or turn to another project/whatever the reason)? I know there's not a magical number, but just wanted to know this community's experience(s).

Thanks all!! :)

Offline littlewritings

Re: How many agents do you query?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 08:14:41 AM »
I've heard different numbers for this, but very often people will say that you should query at least 100 agents before you give up on your project. (That obviously depends on your genre and how many agents rep it as well).

If you don't get any bites from agents, reworking your query and having another look at your opening pages might be advisable after... 20 rejections? Make sure you're querying the right agents as well (And I don't just mean basic stuff like "don't query a kidlit agent with adult scifi, don't query an agent who doesn't rep memoirs with a memoir, etc" but make sure you have agents in there who said they're looking for the exact thing you wrote because if those turn you down, you know there's a problem.)

Overall it depends on a lot of factors and I'm very interested in seeing what numbers other people will suggest.

Offline MegTravelz

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 04:15:43 PM »
I've heard generally 100; or you stop earlier than 100, if you finish another project that you feel is stronger. Definitely have people look at your query and first pages though! If you're not getting any bites within 20 queries, I'd say there's likely a problem with either the query, the first five pages, or the agents you're querying. Best of luck!

Offline Viddiest

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 07:24:02 PM »
I am at this stage now. I queried about 50 agents.  I have 3 with my full right now. One rejection from a full and one from a partial. I have stopped querying for the moment because I don't want to burn my chances with the remaining agents if my ms is not good enough. I regret querying too many at one shot because I've both reworked the query and ms since. I definitely advice sending out in batches.Good luck!!