Author Topic: Is it considered bad form to let agents know you have other fulls out?  (Read 622 times)

Offline Viddiest

An agent has asked me to let her know if I get offers in the time she reads. Is it ok to respond that I have a few fulls out but no offers yet? Is that something I should not mention. If I don't say anything I wonder if she will think I have no one else considering it. She had asked me to check in at the 3 week mark and she just wrote to say she is still reading and that she is going to respond within the week, so not sure  anything I say makes a difference to her decision. Just thought I would ask here for what's considered an acceptable response?

Thank you so much.

Offline jcwrites

Re: Is it considered bad form to let agents know you have other fulls out?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 07:53:13 AM »
Just say that another agent is reading your material but you'll give him/her a chance to respond if you get an offer. (That way the second agent will feel that the time they spend reading your stuff won't necessarily be wasted.)

Congrats on reads, and good luck.

Offline Viddiest

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 05:08:38 PM »
Thank you, I wish I had seen your message before. I simply said, thanks and look forward to hearing from you. I will file away for next time. I am just heartened that she got back at all and said she is still reading and will get back within the week!! So nervous. :)

Offline Miss Plum

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 05:00:35 PM »
Let us know how it goes!

Offline Viddiest

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 02:12:19 PM »
Thank you! 1 week has well and truly passed and all I got is radio silence. It would almost be better if she hadn’t given a time line at all. Now thinking she hates my work. 😢

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 06:44:59 AM »
No, no, it's not hatred. It's that agent time and writer time are actually two separate units of measure. It's confusing because we use the same terms, but they're not. To convert "agent time" to "writer time," multiply whatever they say by two and then add thirty percent. So one week in agent time equals about eighteen days in writer time.

When you go on submission, there's a similar conversion for "editor time" only it's even longer.

Agents don't have the time or the emotional bandwidth to hate our work. They really are just looking at the sales potential on everything that crosses their desk. Yes, they say they have to fall in love with your piece, but 99.9% of the rejections are for sales reasons: maybe the market is dead right now, or maybe they don't know any editors acquiring that trope right now, or maybe they're having much better luck with urban fantasy about mermaids so they're concentrating on that, etc etc.

She doesn't hate you or your work, even if she passes. She's just thinking, "I'm not seeing the cash here," and that's all.

They will never get to the point of hating your manuscript because as soon as they settle on "dislike," they'll stop there.

Offline Viddiest

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 10:47:49 AM »
Thank you soooo much Tabris. Love your explanation.  :clap:

Offline Viddiest

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 06:54:36 PM »
More than 3 weeks since she said she’d getting back with a response within the week. I sent a polite nudge yesterday. I am so bummed that she’d been so communicative at first on her own. If she didn’t like the book, she could at least send a rejection given all the back and forth.