Author Topic: Slow responses after sending my full MS/no confirmation of receipt  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Viddiest

Re: Slow responses after sending my full MS/no confirmation of receipt
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2021, 07:25:53 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Myticatical, this is really good to know. Good luck!

Offline Johnny 5

• I live in the UK but aim to publish in the US.
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2021, 06:55:09 AM »
Out of interest, are these senior agents (like VP, and partner ones for example) or junior/new agents?

A well respected editor I worked with last month allowed me to have a heart to heart and she was very helpful. She recommended targeting junior agents or newly joined agents in the same houses as the more senior ones as you will get better response times (due to workload and current client lists). Chances are they may turn to the senior ones for guidance and input, allowing you a quicker trip up the ladder.

Richard nailed it with how an hour feels a month with this business.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 02:35:54 AM by jonny_555 »
Find the blessing in your curse

Offline mysticatical

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2021, 07:08:45 AM »

That is terrific news, Mysticatical. I'm very happy for you!

Just a note that I spoke to one of my ghosters at a zoom lit fest (it was agent speed "dating") and they said they haven't read it yet!

Thanks! Now back in that exciting place not knowing what comes next. The full MS is out with 5 new agents and 4 more have requested it. Waiting a few days to see if I get any resposnes.

Offline mysticatical

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2021, 07:13:34 AM »
Out of interest, are these senior agents (like VP, and partner ones for example) or junior/new agents?

A well-respected editor I worked with last month allowed me to have a heart to heart and she was very helpful. She recommended targeting junior agents or newly joined agents in the same houses as the more senior ones as you will get better response times due to workload and client list length. Chances are they may turn to the senior ones for guidance and input, allowing you a quicker trip up the ladder to their desks.

I have had one such junior agent reply the same day as my query (not making this up - it only took 7 hours for her PERSONALIZED rejection). I am yet to test this on a full though. I sent my revised batch out last week to about 15 agents, including the one that replied the same day.

Richard nailed it with how an hour feels a month with this business.

I have been pitching a mix of junior agents and established ones. The established ones/agents with long lists are definitely slower.

Rejections so far:
-I've had 1 rejection so far which was an earlier draft (it's been revised since) - they felt impatient during one part of the story and said they felt it failed to sustain itself in the way they'd hoped (I've since streamlined that bit and cut out a hefty 10k). An established agent at a big agency.

- 1 revise and resubmit where the agent said ultimately he still didn't connect but the changes were good and the piece was very strong. He has a short client list.

-One 'Great atmosphere, Great writing but for some reason I failed connect with the voice' An established agent at a big agency but in hindsight not the best choice - her taste veers more towards commercial/reading group fiction even if she says she is looking for literary fiction.

-1 'I felt the story was too vague' (for the early draft--I feel like since then I have honed my pitch and the piece to make it tighter. There was always a story but I wasn't selling it enough.

Offline richardclin

• Richard C Lin - Author Website
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2021, 07:42:17 AM »

Wow, Mysticatical, you collect requests for submissions faster than my elder son collects comic books or my daughter followers on Instagram! So happy for you. Forgive me if it's been mentioned at some point during this long thread, but what is your book about? I feel the need to write in the same genre suddenly! :wink:

That is terrific news, Mysticatical. I'm very happy for you!

Just a note that I spoke to one of my ghosters at a zoom lit fest (it was agent speed "dating") and they said they haven't read it yet!

Thanks! Now back in that exciting place not knowing what comes next. The full MS is out with 5 new agents and 4 more have requested it. Waiting a few days to see if I get any resposnes.

Offline richardclin

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2021, 09:22:45 AM »

A bit of a funny story. Last night, I queried an agent and mistakenly inserted the wrong name in the query salutation. Within ten minutes, the agent curtly informed me that this person did not work at her agency. I begged her forgiveness citing the late hour in Shanghai. Within 24 hours she asked for my full MS with the following message:

"Sure, send pdf.  I am very slow, the worst.
Please be patient & continue approaching other agents."

I feel like a guy who asks his crush on a date but calls her by the wrong name. After apologizing, she agrees to go on the date, but then informs him it will take a long time before she will allow him to get past second base...and to keep dating other girls as well...    :bash:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 12:26:27 PM by richardclin »

Offline mysticatical

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2021, 08:26:15 AM »

A bit of a funny story. Last night, I queried an agent and mistakenly inserted the wrong name in the query salutation. Within ten minutes, the agent curtly informed me that this person did not work at her agency. I begged her forgiveness citing the late hour in Shanghai. Within 24 hours she asked for my full MS with the following message:

I feel like a guy who asks his crush on a date but calls her by the wrong name. After apologizing, she agrees to go on the date, but then informs him it will take a long time before she will allow him to get past second base...and to keep dating other girls as well...    :bash:

Haha! There is hope! Congratulations :) Sounds like a good book you have on your hands.

Mine is literary fiction but there's a lot of nature which several agents told me is "in vogue."

Offline Johnny 5

• I live in the UK but aim to publish in the US.
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2021, 08:31:21 AM »
Hmmm . . . is using the wrong name maybe the real secret to success then?  :rolf:

Well done Richard!
Find the blessing in your curse

Offline richardclin

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2021, 12:29:26 PM »

Thank you, Mysticatical.

I just realized after seeing your "quote" of my reply that somehow it came out like in 2 pt font size. I have modified it to 12 pt.

And, yes, Jonny, it seems I have hit upon a new best practice to catch the attention of literary agents: unabashedly address them by the wrong name in the query letter! :wag:

Haha! There is hope! Congratulations :) Sounds like a good book you have on your hands.

Mine is literary fiction but there's a lot of nature which several agents told me is "in vogue."

Offline mysticatical

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2021, 12:37:38 PM »

Thank you, Mysticatical.

I just realized after seeing your "quote" of my reply that somehow it came out like in 2 pt font size. I have modified it to 12 pt.

And, yes, Jonny, it seems I have hit upon a new best practice to catch the attention of literary agents: unabashedly address them by the wrong name in the query letter! :wag:

Haha yeah, I had to copy and paste it elsewhere to decipher it :P

Offline richardclin

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2021, 08:46:34 AM »

Yes, I am thinking of sending my next query letter or MS submission in 2 pt, just to spice things up for the agent...    :wink:

Thank you, Mysticatical.

Haha yeah, I had to copy and paste it elsewhere to decipher it :P