Author Topic: We will be right back after these important messages...  (Read 406 times)

Offline DrCCat

• (The one and only)
We will be right back after these important messages...
« on: February 08, 2021, 12:09:01 PM »
I hope this is in the correct section, so here it is. Hopefully, I can save people the headache of an updated website.

Today I was digging around and found an agent that seems match for what I was looking for. After spending time pulling the necessary documents and files that were requested for a query, I fired off an email.

I received this automated email from Aitken Alexander Ltd: "The office will be closed from 18/12/2020 until 04/01/2021 so please bear with us, as we will not be reading submissions during this time. No material will be held for more than three months, and if you have not heard from us in that time we regretfully will not be offering representation and any submission will then be permanently deleted."

Don't get me wrong, I understand that many businesses are under stress from the "beer bug", but how difficult is it to include this on your submissions page? Last time I checked, it's not a difficult thing to add on a website. I'd hate to have to sift through that mail server once it clogs up. Oh well, not my circus, not my clowns.

Anyone else experience with something similar?
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam - attributed to General Hannibal

Offline Miss Plum

Re: We will be right back after these important messages...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 04:47:02 PM »
It's not difficult to add, and yet some businesses -- literary agencies, pizza joints, whatever -- are so neglectful of their websites it's a wonder that they bother having them at all.

You've done the work necessary to query that agent; it will be easier querying the next one.

Offline 217mom

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 01:13:14 PM »
... some businesses ...are so neglectful of their websites...

I have noticed this especially since the pandemic, when non-operating businesses sort of "forgot" to attend to the matter of posting their suspended services on their sites.
For that matter, we authors are also small businesses of sorts. I am constantly surprised by authors who neglected to remove their no-longer agent as a contact, or manage to leave their engagements/appearances list as last updated five years ago. It gives the impression these authors are deceased :( but they are my friends who I know for a fact are alive and (gratefully) doing well. Just not active in their author capacity.

This pandemic has rained on our collective brain, :badday: I fear.

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 07:27:31 PM »
that reminds me, I need to update my website...