Author Topic: Unopened Emails to Agents  (Read 344 times)

Offline Jwmlex52

Unopened Emails to Agents
« on: February 07, 2021, 11:33:15 AM »
I use a mail tracker and can see that many of the agents I have queried have not even opened the email. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it because I'm using the tracker? I mean, why do agents say they are open to submissions when they won't even OPEN the QUERY email? Any advice appreciated.

Offline redseafish

Re: Unopened Emails to Agents
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 12:22:48 PM »
How long has it been since you sent the queries? Some agents take a few months to get round to it, given how many emails they get.

Offline littlewritings

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 12:55:20 PM »
I second that, it really depends on how long it's been. Some agents won't get to your query until 3 or 4 months after you've send it.

Offline Patrick

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 02:25:04 PM »
You can’t really rely on those open trackers. Too many mail programs will block them. When they report an email was opened, that’s very accurate. But receiving no indication probably just mean it was blocked.

You ever wonder why email programs won’t show embedded images without permission? That’s because that’s how the tracking gets in. They include a tiny hidden image in the email. If that image gets viewed, then they know the email was opened. By blocking the images, there’s no way to know if the email was opened or not.

Offline Jwmlex52

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 10:51:48 AM »
Thanks Patrick the administrator. That may explain it. I'll probably stop using the mail tracker to be sure they don't get blocked.

As for other replies, many thanks, too. Some of the emails date back three months or more. And they represent about half of the queries I've sent out.

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 07:17:03 AM »
They include a tiny hidden image in the email. If that image gets viewed, then they know the email was opened.

Ah, you've just explained to me why Mailchimp will report some emails as not opened when in fact they were opened. But across an entire mailing list, I guess the pixel is the best they've got to work with.