Author Topic: What would you do? Full request quandary  (Read 558 times)

Offline Viddiest

What would you do? Full request quandary
« on: February 11, 2021, 03:27:56 PM »
An agent has gotten back to me after four months requesting my full! (Their website says if we don’t hear back in 8 weeks, it’s a pass!). Meanwhile, my full is with 3 other agents and some recent feedback has suggested that one plot line is not working. It’s quite simple to fix so I am working on this and I think it will significantly change my book. Given the consistent feedback from my 2nd round beta readers, I need to change this. I also feel any agent who likes my book might request I revise this. Now, I don’t want to send this agent my novel as it is knowing it has an issue. How long is reasonable to take to submit to the agent? Love to hear some thoughts before I burn my chance.

Thank you!!

Offline MegTravelz

Re: What would you do? Full request quandary
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 04:48:25 PM »
9 times out of 10, agents want to see your best work and completely understand that revisions may be occurring as feedback come in. I'd just email saying something like "I've recently received some great feedback from another agent, and am editing my book in lieu of it. Would you prefer to see the current version, or the revised? I believe I'll be finished with edits in __ weeks."

I think anywhere from four weeks to eight weeks is reasonable, but honestly, agents might be willing to wait longer. Agent time is weird and months can pass in a blink for them haha.

Offline Viddiest

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 05:42:02 PM »
Thank you for this, that’s a great idea. Also the changes pertain to one chapter close to the end, so I could easily offer the first 100 pages and say I am working on the ending. Also I’ve learnt that this agent is religious and my book has characters questioning religion so I am worried it may offend. I hit all his mswl points but somehow I didn’t see this before. Yikes!

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 02:51:20 PM »
Send them the manuscript as it is right now. You don't want to lose momentum for changes they may not want anyhow.

In your cover letter, let them know you are currently making changes based on professional feedback, and these changes specifically affect the ending. Ask, "What would you prefer I do?" Offer the option of them waiting {specific time period} for the updated manuscript, or reading the current manuscript as-is.

UNLESS--how long will it take you to complete the fix? If it's something you can complete before Tuesday, then don't send it now. Complete the changes and send it then without mentioning that you made any changes at all.

Offline Viddiest

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 05:02:18 PM »
Thank you, Tabris. That is good advice. I am not going to get my revisions in by Tuesday, so I will send through what I have with minor revisions, and explain about the revisions I am making. This agent has a really bad record of not responding to fulls according to the comments on QT so I am not getting my hopes up. When I first joined QT, I used to be dissuaded by all the comments that said, go ahead and work on your next project while you're waiting for agent responses. Now I see that the advice is spot on. This is definitely a long game. :)

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 08:40:40 AM »
Ugh. I hate when agents don't respond to fulls. At least hit reply and type, "No." Yanno?