Author Topic: Waiting on editorial letter from agent for an R&R  (Read 308 times)

Offline jackson

Waiting on editorial letter from agent for an R&R
« on: February 18, 2021, 10:52:17 AM »
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. I had an agent who said she loved a lot of things about my novel but wanted me to do an R&R before she officially takes me on as a client. I'm so happy about this! I can't wait to see what she thinks and get to work or decide against it or whatever is going to happen. She said she would start working on the letter "this weekend/next week" and give me the notes "next week." It's been over two weeks since that email, coming up on three. I know she has a lot on her plate and actual clients to work with first. I wouldn't dream of emailing her at this point. But I'm thinking about doing it next week. This is an exclusive situation too (for the R&R). I know they are busy but I just want to know if anyone has ever gotten to this purgatory of waiting for an editorial letter for double, maybe triple the time the agent said. And also what goes into the editorial letter? Should it take so long to get notes on the R&R? She is having to read it again, I'm sure, so I am taking that into account. I'm hoping she hasn't forgotten about me in the midst of her busy days, I guess. Or decided it wasn't worth it? Should I just keep on querying even though this agent was my first choice and I will most likely end up doing deep revisions? Ha, losing my mind. Any kind of encouragement or advice would be great. I'm thankful because I know this is a great deal if it actually happens. IF it happens. Man.

Offline MegTravelz

Re: Waiting on editorial letter from agent for an R&R
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 11:13:46 AM »
Hi Jackson, R&Rs can be really fantastic things, if you agree with the editorial notes. When reading your post though I had a few questions. From your post it sounds like the agent essentially said, "do this R&R, then I will represent you"? That strikes me as odd. Usually agents offer R&Rs with no promise of representation (yes, they might request an exclusive on the R&R, but there's no promise of "if you do these revisions, then I will take you on as a client.")

If they already know they're going to sign you, there's no reason to have you do the revisions by yourself. It would make more sense for them to offer representation, on the offer call discuss the revisions they envision for the manuscript, and then give you the option of accepting or declining. If you accepted, you would dive into the revisions together. Am I understanding your post correctly?

Offline jackson

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 11:27:31 AM »
Thanks for responding, MegTravelz! There was a lot in that email but I think it's supposed to be a normal R&R, with exclusivity on the revision (for a specific time period). She said nothing like "Do the revision the way I like it and I'll represent you" but it was more like "your book needs a lot of editorial work but I enjoyed it and think it has potential so I'm going to do an R&R with you." There wasn't a promise of representation. It all pends on the revision to see if she can take it on. So it was a polite situation and she made it clear that if her notes didn't resonate then we could move on from each other which I appreciated. She probably wants to know if I can do the revisions/if I even like her ideas and notes at all. Obviously there's a big problem (or two or three) somewhere that she's not sure I can fix because she doesn't know how I work yet. I wish it had just been an offer. But in fact it was just a run-of-the-mill R&R, only it's taking forever to get those notes from her and I'm dying to know what she thinks. So I don't know if I agree with the notes or not because it's been a few weeks and I haven't gotten anything from her. That's my big concern here. Do I share her vision for the story? I have no idea because she hasn't gotten back to me in weeks. Is this normal? How long does an editorial letter take?

Offline MegTravelz

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 01:15:41 PM »
Okay, that matches with what I've heard is standard. Thanks!

Regarding how long to get editorial notes, I'm sorry I can't be of much help. When I got an R&R, the agent sent back all of her notes in her first email (the email that said, "I can't offer rep at this time bc of issues, but if you revise XYZ, I'd love to see it again, etc" and then listed all of her notes.)

Maybe nudge after a month? I feel for you :/ (But CONGRATS on an R&R, that is actually super exciting. It means your book must be getting really close!).  Hopefully someone else on this thread can provide similar timeframes or experiences.

Offline jackson

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 03:05:03 PM »
Thanks so much!! I'm really excited about it, I'm just anxious that it won't really happen. Thanks for the advice. I think a month is a good time period to ask her where those notes went.

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 04:27:51 PM »
Since she said she would get you notes by a certain time, and it's been double that time, I would think it's okay to drop her a line asking if she already sent the revision notes and they went astray. She says she wants to sign you after you do the revisions, so that puts you in semi-client territory.

My agent did that before she signed me too. She wanted to see that I could work with revision notes and wouldn't put up a fit. :-) If this is a test to see if you're a professional, there's nothing wrong with a professional letter asking if everything is okay.

Dear AgentName,

I just wanted to touch base about your revision letter. I understand it's been a hectic two weeks, but you had indicated you'd get notes to me so I could get to work on revising the manuscript. If you've been busy (or if you're snowed in!) then I apologize for bothering you. I'm just concerned that the email might not have made it to me.

Sincerely,
You

Agents know writers are timid, fractious creatures who are unnerved by the whole getting-agented process. As long as you're deferential in your email, it should be fine. ie, don't demand, and don't beg.  ;D

Offline jackson

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 06:22:14 PM »
Great advice. I'll wait a few more days and send her a message. Thanks so much for this.