Author Topic: Thoughts on agents who have not sold books in your genre  (Read 342 times)

Offline DougD

Thoughts on agents who have not sold books in your genre
« on: February 19, 2021, 05:43:20 PM »
I've been agented before, but not in the USA.

During my research on US agents (I have an excel sheet of more than 90 query target agents now), I find that some good agents, with excellent deals in other genre, are looking for books in my genre (thriller/ suspense.) in their recent/ latest MSWL. From Publisher's marketplace, they don't seem to have sold any thriller/ suspense at all.

Any thoughts on whether I should query them as well, or stick to the ones who have sold in my genre?

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
Re: Thoughts on agents who have not sold books in your genre
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 03:25:31 PM »
I'd be concerned that they might not have the contacts to move the manuscript and/or might not have the experience to recognize the current high-selling tropes or what's been overdone etc. On the other hand, they may have all those connections and just never saw a reason to sell that genre before. You'd have to ask them during the phone call what made them decide to expand into this genre and then gauge based on their answer.

Offline DougD

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 01:24:11 AM »
Thanks so much, Tabris. I had the same concerns you mention. Then I heard a few agents saying at online events they want to 'balance' their list: that their previous sales record does not mean they do not want to expand into other genre. I'll send out a few fellers and see where that goes.

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 08:45:50 AM »
It might be worth considering how close the genres are to one another, too. I'd be very leery of an agent who'd only ever sold Christian children's nonfiction books who now wanted to sell adult grimdark horror. :-) On the other hand, an agent who specializes in mysteries might make a natural move toward thrillers and suspense.

Offline DougD

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 08:32:17 PM »
Thank! Yes, I immediately eliminated the ones who have only sold children's books, because my book is very far from that. I guess romance, and romantic suspense may not be too bad a fit. I'm not querying them in the first batch though.