Author Topic: A Re-Introduction to the Community  (Read 148 times)

Offline FlyingViking

• Bold, but with a hint of whimsy
A Re-Introduction to the Community
« on: March 01, 2021, 02:01:17 AM »
Greetings fellow aspiring (and published) writers.  I originally registered with this forum in 2015 and got the community's feedback on the query letter (and first chapter) of an adult crime/medical mystery I had written, which centered around the gruesome murder of a pregnant woman and the subsequent criminal investigation.  While querying the book, I also managed to write a complete sequel, which contained additional gruesome murders and investigations.  Unfortunately the query gods were not in my favor, and after three years and some 200 queries I had to call it a day.  My response rate was just below 10% and I had generally positive feedback on the few occasions I heard back.  The take-home message seemed to be that although the book was well written, it was in a genre that was really tough to sell.

While preparing and querying the book I met some wonderful people on this forum, one of whom I communicated with quite frequently about ideas for potential new novels.  One of my ideas centered around a Norse man joining a Viking raiding force traveling from Scandinavia to the Orient, experiencing a whole new world (no pun or Disney copyright infringement intended) of people, thoughts and religions.  My friend suggested to me that such a story would lend itself to being told as a young adult novel with a teenage protagonist, so long as I could tone down the violence and the gruesome murders. 

Sounds boring, right?  Well, I decided to give it a try, and here I am again with a third novel recently completed, this time a young adult historical novel about a young man named Ivar who has to depart his Swedish home and, escaping one dangerous situation after the other ends up in Baghdad at the height of the Abbasid Caliphate.  Along the way he meets new friends and enemies and gets a completely different perspective on the world he thought he knew.

Soon I will post the draft query letter, and I'm looking forward to the constructive feedback that this forum is so uniquely positioned to provide.
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.

- Leonardo da Vinci

Offline apcross13

Re: A Re-Introduction to the Community
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 07:28:37 AM »
I look forward to reading! Best wishes!
Anne

Offline Odd John

• Odds are even odds.
Re: A Re-Introduction to the Community
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 11:02:16 AM »
May your QL be bold and compelling. But not whimsical.

I look forward to you posted effort...  ;D
My inferiority complex masks my superiority complex. It's very convenient.

- John