Author Topic: If you have questions post-call, pre-offer acceptance  (Read 268 times)

Offline gellisbarber

If you have questions post-call, pre-offer acceptance
« on: March 02, 2021, 07:19:23 PM »
After you get the agent offer and alert the other agents, are you supposed to leave the offering agent alone? If you ask too many questions, is that leading them on or a sign you didn't do the call right?

Offline Viddiest

Re: If you have questions post-call, pre-offer acceptance
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 07:32:58 PM »
Sorry, I have no idea but congratulations!!! Love to hear all about it.

Offline littlewritings

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 01:06:56 AM »
If you have questions, ask them! Even if it's a ton. (Actually, if it's a ton, you might be better off asking for a second call.)

When you're a the point where an agent has offered you rep, they want you to be their client, they want to sell your book. Part of their job is answering your questions and if there's already an issue with that *before* you sign with them, you should wonder why. A good agent will welcome your additional questions! Everyone's nervous during a call and sometimes not all the important questions are asked and that's okay.

Congrats on your offer! Make sure you ask to read the agency agreement before you say yes to the offer and talk to other clients!

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 06:38:53 AM »
If you call back the offering agent with more questions, and the agent goes super nova on you, that is very important information to have.

Remember, the agent is in the business of communication and negotiation. If she can't communicate and negotiate with you, who she wants to sign an agreement with, how is she going to handle communicating with editors who don't necessarily want to sign the book she's offering?

Now, don't call every five minutes or else you're giving the agent very important information about you too. But if you email with, "I have a few follow up questions, so can we please schedule a call?" and then you have a brief, professional conversation at the appointed time -- that should be fine. Also fine if you email with, "I have a few more questions. Would you prefer I email them to you, or can we have another call? It would only take about fifteen minutes."

As for not doing the call right -- yeah, of course none of us does the call right on the first go-around. How much experience do you have landing a literary agent? How much experience do most of this agent's authors have before their debut? It's fine. Part of an agent's job is guiding your career, and they know you're at the start of it.

Ideally you'll be working together for years. It's okay to ask for another fifteen minutes.