Author Topic: Anyone know this agent? Got Pitmad request  (Read 464 times)

Offline Viddiest

Anyone know this agent? Got Pitmad request
« on: March 04, 2021, 04:51:36 PM »
Hi all,

Annie Bomke liked my pitch. When I searched for her here, I saw that there were some posts that questioned if she was legit. I am also wondering the same. Would love any feedback.

Thank you!

Offline President Pumpkin

Re: Anyone know this agent? Got Pitmad request
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 05:25:57 PM »
It's great that you've received interest through pitmad.

I haven't heard of her, so I can't say if she's legit, but she does have an account on Publisher's Marketplace. She's ranked #20 in Mystery/Crime &  #57 in Fiction/Horror. It looks like she has sold a couple debut novels, Zach Powers' FIRST COSMIC VELOCITY and Edward Farmer's APE. Do you have an account with them?

Offline Viddiest

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 05:41:28 PM »
Thank you so much for your response. No, I don't have an account with Publisher's Marketplace, so grateful for the info you have provided. I guess I'll give her a try. Thank you.

Offline MegTravelz

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 07:42:46 PM »
Congrats on the request! Pitmad was wild today (or maybe just cause it was my first time. I was like "WHAT IS HAPPENING" every three minutes lol).

I have an excel spreadsheet where I keep track of my submissions, and who to send to next. I also write down agents/agencies I DON'T want to query. Past Megan has written "Annie Bomke-- no". Vauge. I apologize for my past self. I just checked on PM though and like President Pumpkin said, she has legit deals. Can always submit and go from there!

Offline Viddiest

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 08:52:16 PM »
Thank you MegTravelz. Oh so want past Megan to remember reasons for writing no.

I queried. Let's see how we go. I am not sure their liking your pitch makes a bit difference. I didn't see too much action from agents in general. I was looking at how many queries had been liked and not many had in my genre.

I was not active during the whole thing. It began at 12 am in my timezone so I scheduled my tweets and went to bed. :)

Offline JeanneG

• Jeanne Lyet Gassman
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 10:52:52 PM »
She's legit, a small boutique agency in California. In fiction, she leans toward commercial fiction and mysteries. When I was querying my first novel, BLOOD OF A STONE, she responded with an R&R. Her notes were quite extensive. Although she rejected my revision, her feedback did encourage me to revise the entire book one more time, which led to the book being published by a small press. That book won an IPPY in 2015.

Annie is super nice and easy to work with. Congrats on the request.

JeanneG
Debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press) released in March 2015; winner of IPPY in national category of religious fiction and currently a finalist for IAN Book of the Year. My work-in-progress: THE DOUBLE SUN.
FB: https://www.facebook.com/JeanneLyetGassman
Twitter: @JLyetGassman

Offline MegTravelz

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 06:43:53 AM »
Good to know, JeanneG! Maybe I wrote "no" because of the genres she specializes in (I'm not in that category). Huh. Well, fingers crossed on your submission, Viddiest!

Offline mlb926

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 10:39:07 AM »
Per her website, she charges for various critiques. Not illegal, of course, but iffy business practice, imo

Offline gushags16

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 12:59:00 PM »
Per her website, she charges for various critiques. Not illegal, of course, but iffy business practice, imo

I agree but disagree. She is pretty clear that buying a critique doesn't get you closer to representation. I think the people at Headwater (Printrun podcast) have a thing on their site about doing editorial work for pay outside of their agenting business as well. If she is liking pitmad requests to generate query review payments, that would be an issue for sure. I guess I'd just be aware.

Good luck! I want to read that published book, Viddiest!

Offline Viddiest

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 01:47:09 PM »
Thanks so much Jeanne, megtravelz, mib and gushags! Such helpful information and thanks gushags for the encouragement. Am feeling a lot more comfortable now sending her my submission. Although she doesn’t rep anyone that’s in my genre, the authors she mentions as admiring  in her mswl are authors I love. Really though, is there any difference between a pitmad request and just a regular query?

Also gushags, I just started listening to the printrun because Erik Hane has my full (his timeline tells me I am one of many many requests he’s made of late), but i listened to the most recent one and thought he and Laura Zats were brilliant!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 01:52:13 PM by Viddiest »