Author Topic: SYNOPSIS Scariness...  (Read 682 times)

Offline Odd John

• Odds are even odds.
SYNOPSIS Scariness...
« on: March 05, 2021, 09:18:36 PM »
So OK, I will parade my fear of the Synopsis Beast in public for all to see. The last one I wrestled with I pared DOWN to 6 pages. My instinctive (and intuitive) problem with these is the loss of detail which to me is what gives the work its distinction, its voice, its living quality. How is something that is so bereft of this going to sell anyone on a good novel?

The odd thing is that the Query Letter takes this to the nth degree, yet it doesn't bother me there. (I'm guessing that this level of compression provides a buoyancy of vividness that is absent in the Synopsis.)

Does anyone else share these ominous impressions?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 09:23:42 PM by Odd John »
My inferiority complex masks my superiority complex. It's very convenient.

- John

Offline Atg336

Re: SYNOPSIS Scariness...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 02:12:24 PM »
"I pared DOWN to 6 pages" -- Holy Snickerdoodles, Batman! I just finished revamping my newest synopsis from 800 to 754 words. What beastly agent is requesting such an insane synopsis. I'd skip them on principle alone!  :no:

Offline PPeterson

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 02:25:06 PM »
I synopsis isn't meant to showcase your voice. Agents know this. You can show that in the manuscript and, to a lesser amount, in the blurb. The synopsis serves a different purpose entirely. It's meant to provide a map of the story. This allows them to determine the structure and pacing of the book. That's it.

Offline susan-louise

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 08:46:58 AM »

I hated tackling my synopsis, Odd John and its focus on Telling, which is so counter intuitive for writers.  But I was glad I took the time to work on mine (several length versions - see below) even though my first resembled a novella!.  Loathe them as we do, they enable the agent to see whether one can handle what is, let's face it, a tortuous/challenging process.   Since April, I have made submissions with various length requirements....5 pp, 3pp and most recently, where the word limit was 275 words.  It was a  slow and painful marathon but I got there with sanity just about intact.  One reads that most agent hate reading them as much as we hate writing them. Ugh!!! 

Offline PPeterson

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 09:20:57 AM »
If you see this in time, AutoCrit is having a live chat about writing synopses in about 2 hours. I'll be watching. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6N9HTvTKBg