Author Topic: Book on Writing: A Swim in a Pond in the Rain  (Read 1307 times)

Offline gushags16

Book on Writing: A Swim in a Pond in the Rain
« on: March 18, 2021, 01:06:11 PM »
Like many of us, I'm sure, I've read a lot of books on writing. Recently I heard George Saunders interviewed on Bookworm (which is an excellent program if you haven't listened to it: it podcasts as well), and Michael Silverblatt, the brilliant host, loved A Swim in the Pond in the Rain so much that the new saying in our house is, "May someone love your work the way Michael Silverblatt loves George's."

I bought the book and cannot recommend it enough. Best book on writing I've ever read. He walks you through seven Russian stories (reprinted in full in his book) and talks about what they are doing in them, how they were written, and along the way gives absolute pearls about how he writes, and most importantly, how he revises. AT LEAST three times I read something he wrote and walked around the house saying, "Yes! Yes! Yes!"

Get yourself a copy or reserve it from the library. It's well worth the read.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 02:03:39 PM by gushags16 »

Offline MsGretaGreen

Re: Book on Writing: A Swim in a Pond in the Rain
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 01:51:05 PM »
It was on my library waitlist for months and just arrived yesterday. I’m really looking forward to it. Last month I read “Ron Carlson writes a Story” by Ron Carlson (duh!) and “Craft in the Real World” by Matthew Salesses - both recommended. Once I finish Saunder’s book, I’m on to “Suppose a Sentence” by Brian Dillon. It would be great to have a virtual meeting and discuss the pros of craft books.

Offline gushags16

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 02:04:46 PM »
It was on my library waitlist for months and just arrived yesterday. I’m really looking forward to it. Last month I read “Ron Carlson writes a Story” by Ron Carlson (duh!) and “Craft in the Real World” by Matthew Salesses - both recommended. Once I finish Saunder’s book, I’m on to “Suppose a Sentence” by Brian Dillon. It would be great to have a virtual meeting and discuss the pros of craft books.

I'll have to look into those. Thanks for the recommendations. Virtual meeting sounds great! I'm up for it.

Offline Viddiest

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 07:08:31 PM »
Thank you, I'll have to look this up.

Offline rivergirl

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 08:16:38 PM »
Thanks!