Author Topic: Yes is the new No  (Read 459 times)

Offline Miss Plum

Yes is the new No
« on: March 22, 2021, 04:44:23 PM »
Several of us have been rejected by D******* S****** of [Big Agency] with a version of the following:

"Not for me, but I've passed it to my colleagues. If you don't hear in 10 days, consider it a pass from the agency."

I bet we'll be seeing a lottttt more of those rejections.

Offline Odd John

• Odds are even odds.
Re: Yes is the new No
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 04:52:45 PM »
Dad says: "Ask your mother!"
My inferiority complex masks my superiority complex. It's very convenient.

- John

Offline Miss Plum

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 08:59:14 PM »
BOOM. :clap:

Offline Viddiest

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 10:32:55 PM »
😂 Spot on, Odd John.

How annoying though... call me cynical but it’s hard to imagine these busy agents who don’t have time to respond with form rejections, sitting around discussing our queries. I wish they would just let us take our chances with the other agents.

Offline Miss Plum

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 10:41:25 PM »
Viddiest, I'm glad I'm not the only cynical one. I think she gives away the game with "It's great but I don't have time for it." Why is she even open to queries?

Offline Viddiest

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 10:50:28 PM »
Wow, that’s a ridiculous form rejection. 😂

I accidentally queried two agents in the same agency. I’ve received a no from one but not the other.  I am terribly disorganised so I’ve probably broken a whole heap of rules. Hey, if they are only human and make mistakes, so do we, right!?

Offline Miss Plum

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 12:26:38 AM »
The accidental querying of two agents at one place has to be as common as dirt. As common as accidentally emailing to Jane Doe and greeting her as "Dear Alex Fishbein..." because you forgot to delete/replace Alex's name with Jane's... as if form mailings are not the norm in this biz.

And do agents make mistakes?  :eyeroll:

Offline FlyingViking

• Bold, but with a hint of whimsy
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 01:22:15 AM »
Wow, that’s a ridiculous form rejection. 😂

I accidentally queried two agents in the same agency. I’ve received a no from one but not the other.  I am terribly disorganised so I’ve probably broken a whole heap of rules. Hey, if they are only human and make mistakes, so do we, right!?

I think this quite accurately represents the negative "response" rate ... 50% form rejections, 50% CNR.  Not quite as bad as applying for a new job, where the CNR rate hovers around the 98% mark... 
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.

- Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 07:00:29 AM »
Accidentally querying two agents at the same agency would only be a problem if both of them requested your manuscript. They're not sitting around comparing their slush piles.

The only other way they MIGHT realize is if your query is so laughably awful that they end up bragging about breaking the new world record for awful query letters--but that's still okay because they weren't going to request pages anyhow.  ;D