Author Topic: hi!  (Read 95 times)

Offline mschenk2021

hi!
« on: March 26, 2021, 09:48:53 AM »
I recently finished my first novel back in November. I had the bare idea back in high school, turned it into a short story in college that got a lot of praise from the class, and have been trying to make it into a novel ever since. I began to seriously work on it in 2014. There are many reasons why it took so long including work, family, other hobbies, writer's block, and just not feeling I was good enough. I also have OCD and would waste weeks obsessing over a few pages instead of getting the story down and coming back to it later. I had a beta reader look over it (sent it out to family and friends and didn't hear a peep from any of them...the best feedback I got was from someone I met online), and started querying last month. I got a request for a partial on my very first try! ...Only to get a rejection a few days later. I've also had a Pitmad like from an agent, but other than that I've only heard back so far from two other agents who sent rejections. I've sent to 12 agents altogether since the beginning of March.

Offline Odd John

• Odds are even odds.
Re: hi!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 11:03:08 AM »
That's actually quite a good response rate. It's possible that your MS needs just one more pass through but with other sympathetic yet critical eyes. Why not post your first 5 pages here. (There's a tab for this on the HOME page.)

I predict you will get at least 3 strong crits in reply.
My inferiority complex masks my superiority complex. It's very convenient.

- John

Offline raktinope

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 11:14:33 AM »
That's actually an very high response rate. Don't get down on yourself.

Offline richardclin

• Richard C Lin - Author Website
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 11:32:51 AM »

Indeed, it is a good start. Don't feel down and welcome to the author community here. I joined about four days ago and have already made some very good literary friends, including John, who is always very thoughtful and helpful with his insights and critiques. I'd be glad to take a look at your pages as well. So please post them as John has suggested.

I recently finished my first novel back in November. I had the bare idea back in high school, turned it into a short story in college that got a lot of praise from the class, and have been trying to make it into a novel ever since. I began to seriously work on it in 2014. There are many reasons why it took so long including work, family, other hobbies, writer's block, and just not feeling I was good enough. I also have OCD and would waste weeks obsessing over a few pages instead of getting the story down and coming back to it later. I had a beta reader look over it (sent it out to family and friends and didn't hear a peep from any of them...the best feedback I got was from someone I met online), and started querying last month. I got a request for a partial on my very first try! ...Only to get a rejection a few days later. I've also had a Pitmad like from an agent, but other than that I've only heard back so far from two other agents who sent rejections. I've sent to 12 agents altogether since the beginning of March.