Author Topic: 'Didn't connect with voice'  (Read 605 times)

Offline mysticatical

'Didn't connect with voice'
« on: March 27, 2021, 08:57:15 AM »
I've had two full MS rejections whose feedback boiled down to "I didn't connect with the voice" though both praised "great writing", "great structure", one "lots of atmosphere" and the other emphatically said "I really liked this novel."

Is this kind of feedback suggestive that the book won't get an agent or simply that I have to keep sending it out and find someone who does connect?

Offline Johnny 5

• I live in the UK but aim to publish in the US.
Re: 'Didn't connect with voice'
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 09:36:22 AM »
You managed to secure two fulls with good feedback, so you're clearly doing something right. Congrats, you have some talent!

Voice is tricky as it, like all else in writing, is subjective. If there was a sure-fire right away to do it, every book would follow that and read the same.

Is it first person or third person? First person is easier to play with in terms of voice. I personally find third person sounds odd if it tries too hard to be different, unless the narrator is identifiable and known (by the author).
Find the blessing in your curse

Offline mysticatical

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 10:51:26 AM »
It is first-person but it's quite a claustrophobic, anxious and unreliable narrator.

Offline Johnny 5

• I live in the UK but aim to publish in the US.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 12:15:27 PM »
Without reading it but going by the other feedback you have received, I'd say keep sending it out. Seriously, you have great feedback on the fulls. Maybe get a few beta readers to share their views. But it sounds like you just need to find the right agent who resonates with it :)

Find the blessing in your curse

Offline Viddiest

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 06:16:54 PM »
I agree with Jonny. Your book is obviously working on many levels. It sounds like just getting it into the hands of the right agent. In my opinion, "voice" is that undefinable quality a book has that we react to as readers that makes us not just admire the writing, but feel it. I don't think there is a formula to it, and as writers, we can only be truthful to our own vision of our books. Given how many requests you are getting, I'd say it's just a matter of time. Good luck!

Offline mysticatical

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 05:00:09 PM »
Thanks both for the encouragement. I hope so! Scary isn't it, knowing the full MS is in the hands of an agent and wondering if they're getting bored yet. I find it particularly disheartening when I think how many books I pick up and DNF.