Author Topic: Do most offers come in quickly after a full MS request?  (Read 1751 times)

Offline mysticatical

Do most offers come in quickly after a full MS request?
« on: March 30, 2021, 08:15:54 AM »
I have sent out several full MS now. I have seen in some forums, stories about people querying an agent, sending the full MS, and then getting the call the following day. If this doesn't happen, is it likely the agent will pass?

Offline hesterL

Re: Do most offers come in quickly after a full MS request?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 08:31:54 AM »
I've been agented twice--the first offer came in about two and a half weeks after submission, the second around a week post-submission (give or take!) With that said, experiences seem to vary widely--from QT I've seen offers ranging anywhere from a couple of days after submission to a few months. Sometimes the agent consults with others at the agency to gauge whether or not they're going to make an offer (which can take a while!)

Long story short--don't worry! Not receiving an offer within days of submission doesn't mean anything (I suspect too that reading times are taking longer now).  All the best to you on your subs, and crossables crossed for an offer!!!!!!

Offline richardclin

• Richard C Lin - Author Website
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 08:39:36 AM »
Hi Mysticatical,

This is my first time ever querying so I'm far from any semblance of authority. I can share what I've experienced and read so far.

I started querying around mid-Feb and have been invited to submit four partials and four fulls. Of these, I've already been turned down by one partial and one full. The others have been out there from a few days to four weeks.

I have read of people receiving offers over a year after submitting their fulls and sending several nudges. So even a ghost can come back to life in the literary realm.

I hear nudges are appropriate about 2-6 months after submitting or when you have received an offer from another agent, of course.

Remember, agent time is like time near a black hole. Five minutes to an agent = author has aged a year. :wink:

Sincerely,

Richard

Offline richardclin

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 08:42:32 AM »

Dear HesterL,

Thank you for sharing your highly valuable experience. You must be a splendid writer with an impressive platform and/or commercial concept to have been agented twice.

Do you mind me asking what do you think has been the key to your agenting success (aside from dazzling looks and charm)? Also, may I inquire as to why you sought a second age after you already had an agent from a prior book?

Thanks!

RCL

I've been agented twice--the first offer came in about two and a half weeks after submission, the second around a week post-submission (give or take!) With that said, experiences seem to vary widely--from QT I've seen offers ranging anywhere from a couple of days after submission to a few months. Sometimes the agent consults with others at the agency to gauge whether or not they're going to make an offer (which can take a while!)

Long story short--don't worry! Not receiving an offer within days of submission doesn't mean anything (I suspect too that reading times are taking longer now).  All the best to you on your subs, and crossables crossed for an offer!!!!!!

Offline hesterL

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 10:41:04 AM »
Aw, Richard, you are too kind! :) (And LOL on the dazzling looks and charm--I wish! :))

My personal belief regarding getting agented (and this is me speaking generally!) is that it's heavily dependent on luck. This isn't to dismiss my writing (I'm not that modest, heh!), but there are a lot of truly fantastic writers out there who have issues getting an agent (or selling a book). Briefly, the book I was agented for first time round never sold and my agent and I eventually parted ways (she's a fabulous agent, btw--it's just that she was going in a different direction regarding what she wanted to acquire at that point). Re: agent number two, she's also fantastic--unfortunately for me she quit agenting about a year after she signed me (it was for a second book which didn't sell either).  Which is kind of a roundabout way of saying luck plays heavily into the whole deal--your book might well be good enough to get an agent, but if it doesn't sell (and that's dependent on a whole bunch of other factors, many of which are outside the writer's control!) you may end up writing something new and (possibly) needing a new agent. It's the long game!

(And sorry, mysticalgal--didn't mean to hijack your post!) I'll just close by saying I had wonderful experiences with both my agents and I'm working toward getting agented again (hopefully, anyway! :)) And all the best to you, Richard, on your journey!!!!!!!

Offline richardclin

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 11:43:36 AM »

Thank you, HesterL for sharing your two dramatic query journeys. It must be so incredible to secure an agent but then so challenging not to sell what are obviously two outstanding manuscripts. So don't keep us in suspense, did you elect to self-pub these two? And if so, what are they titled so that we might buy them on Amazon?

And, mysticatical, sorry indeed for taking us on this tangent with HesterL, but I hope you may find her sharing as highly fascinating and educational as I have.

Aw, Richard, you are too kind! :) (And LOL on the dazzling looks and charm--I wish! :) )

My personal belief regarding getting agented (and this is me speaking generally!) is that it's heavily dependent on luck. This isn't to dismiss my writing (I'm not that modest, heh!), but there are a lot of truly fantastic writers out there who have issues getting an agent (or selling a book). Briefly, the book I was agented for first time round never sold and my agent and I eventually parted ways (she's a fabulous agent, btw--it's just that she was going in a different direction regarding what she wanted to acquire at that point). Re: agent number two, she's also fantastic--unfortunately for me she quit agenting about a year after she signed me (it was for a second book which didn't sell either).  Which is kind of a roundabout way of saying luck plays heavily into the whole deal--your book might well be good enough to get an agent, but if it doesn't sell (and that's dependent on a whole bunch of other factors, many of which are outside the writer's control!) you may end up writing something new and (possibly) needing a new agent. It's the long game!

(And sorry, mysticalgal--didn't mean to hijack your post!) I'll just close by saying I had wonderful experiences with both my agents and I'm working toward getting agented again (hopefully, anyway! :) ) And all the best to you, Richard, on your journey!!!!!!!

Offline mysticatical

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 04:58:31 PM »

Thanks for sharing! Those are amazing stats, well done on doing so well. Your books must be fantastic.

I am a panicker so it's reassuring to know that I shouldn't necessarily expect a call the next day, haha.

Offline hesterL

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 04:59:43 PM »
Aw, thank you Richard! I didn't self-publish them, but that's definitely something I'd consider in future!  :)

Offline hesterL

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 05:00:52 PM »
My pleasure mysticatical! Feel free to reach out if you have any further questions--I'll be back in the query trenches probably in the next few months or so...(ack!)

Offline mysticatical

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2021, 05:12:54 PM »
Hi Mysticatical,

This is my first time ever querying so I'm far from any semblance of authority. I can share what I've experienced and read so far.

I started querying around mid-Feb and have been invited to submit four partials and four fulls. Of these, I've already been turned down by one partial and one full. The others have been out there from a few days to four weeks.

I have read of people receiving offers over a year after submitting their fulls and sending several nudges. So even a ghost can come back to life in the literary realm.

I hear nudges are appropriate about 2-6 months after submitting or when you have received an offer from another agent, of course.

Remember, agent time is like time near a black hole. Five minutes to an agent = author has aged a year. :wink:

Sincerely,

Richard

Over a year after?  :eek: But yeah you're right - an agent I submitted to in January didn't confirm receipt then I saw her at a literary festival and she said she hasn't read it yet and looks forward. Hopefully she wasn't just caught off guard/being nice to avoid saying, I attempted reading it and it was terrible!

Offline mysticatical

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2021, 05:55:45 PM »
Hi Mysticatical,

Sincerely,

Richard

Over a year after?  :eek: But yeah you're right - an agent I submitted to in January didn't confirm receipt then I saw her at a literary festival and she said she hasn't read it yet and looks forward. Hopefully she wasn't just caught off guard/being nice to avoid saying, I attempted reading it and it was terrible!

Thank you! Can I ask what genre you are writing in? And how many agents did you submit to? What was the offer like? Did they discuss revisions or was it more like 'I loved it, everything was amazing!' I hope I get an offer in a week or two. Waiting on a fair few full MS that are with agents :S

Offline hesterL

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2021, 07:50:21 PM »
Hi mysticatical!

So my first offer was on a YA thriller/suspense. On that book I queried maybe twenty-five agents (I'll have to check my QT stats for the exact number!) The offering agent e-mailed me to request a Skype call and, during the call, she felt me out regarding how open I was to revisions (I actually thought at one point the call was for an R & R, lol!) I loved her suggestions and at the end of the call she made the offer.

Book number two was a quiet YA contemporary. I only queried about ten agents that time around and the offer came about a week and a half after I started querying. We discussed everything over text and e-mail, and the edits pre-submission were pretty minimal. 

I hope this is helpful!!!!! Let me know if you have any other questions, and I'm keeping everything crossed for your subs--sounds like you've got a great manuscript!!! :)

Offline richardclin

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2021, 03:37:34 AM »

Thank you for your kind offer regarding questions, HesterL. I will hit you up in this forum if I have any of a general nature or via PM if it's more specific to my work.

Look forward to having a proven veteran rejoin us in the query trenches. But it may not take you long given your fast track record in the past. It's taken me six weeks querying about 50 agents to garner nine requests for MS or proposal (since it's a memoir, one agent asked for proposal instead). I don't hold our high hopes as I do not have a huge author platform and am not surnamed Obama or Trump (thank God!) nor do people recognize me purely by my first name like Beyonce or Cher.

Best wishes to you both! And fret not, Mysticatical, as you are off to a fantastic start.

My pleasure mysticatical! Feel free to reach out if you have any further questions--I'll be back in the query trenches probably in the next few months or so...(ack!)

Offline hesterL

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2021, 08:47:49 AM »
Richard, that is an AWESOME request rate!!!!!  :clap: All crossables crossed for you for an offer, and feel free to reach out anytime!!!!!! Looking forward to hearing about your journey!!!!!!! :)

Offline kciswriting

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2021, 09:59:08 AM »
Mysticatical,

Brent Weeks, best selling fantasy author, mentioned that his agent, Donald Maass, offered representation 9 months after requesting a full. So if an agent doesn’t make that call right away, it doesn’t mean he/she has written you off.

Good luck!