Author Topic: Do most offers come in quickly after a full MS request?  (Read 1734 times)

Offline mysticatical

Re: Do most offers come in quickly after a full MS request?
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2021, 07:26:53 AM »
All of this detailed anxiety (which I share) at the last reminds me that I will write no matter what. Why?:

a) It's in my bones, my marrow.
            b) I enjoy it (mostly). Mostly in the sense of personal satisfaction.
            c) It beats doing what I used to do too much of, hanging around in bars shooting pool and such.
            d) After a certain period of time, I'll self-publish. There's always a chance of being "discovered" later.
            e) I feel a "duty" to write.

That's the whole ball of wax, made into a candle and burning at both ends.

Good, because we have to first write for ourselves! I feel this too, like I'll keep writing no matter what. It's a compulsion. But it would be nice if one day  a novel I wrote took on its own life and went out into the world.

Note: I am a professional writer anyway, with a non-fiction book deal and journalistic bylines. If you need to write and you are persistent and you read a lot and you have a flair for communication, one day it'll happen.

Offline richardclin

• Richard C Lin - Author Website
Re: Do most offers come in quickly after a full MS request?
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2021, 01:17:52 PM »

That is a fantastic attitude, Jonny. I applaud and thank you for it.

And hang in there Mysticatical! I think taking deep breaths, looking out the window, and keeping in mind Jonny's fine points are the way to go when the stress builds up for you. And I've heard from quite a few extremely talented authors in this community who have gone on to very happily and successfully self-publish. A couple said they did it for the sake of their mental health and have never looked back at querying again even after they have achieved self-published success. So please don't despair. The world will see your work one day one way or another. And the world will be better for it!

:award: 

All of this detailed anxiety (which I share) at the last reminds me that I will write no matter what. Why?:

a) It's in my bones, my marrow.
            b) I enjoy it (mostly). Mostly in the sense of personal satisfaction.
            c) It beats doing what I used to do too much of, hanging around in bars shooting pool and such.
            d) After a certain period of time, I'll self-publish. There's always a chance of being "discovered" later.
            e) I feel a "duty" to write.

That's the whole ball of wax, made into a candle and burning at both ends.