Author Topic: Agent Speak Decoded  (Read 839 times)

Offline Johnny 5

• I live in the UK but aim to publish in the US.
Agent Speak Decoded
« on: April 04, 2021, 04:10:30 AM »
Not sure if there is an entire board for this topic but reckon it would be useful. Literary agents sometimes speak in a secret code way.
I just had this comment from a personal chat which I am struggling to decipher. I'm only pulling out the sentence and hopefully it is enough to go by. How do you guys interpret this:

“. . . agents/editors being more likely to put out these calls, more so than any other type of call . . . “

I’m not American so possibly this is a general term that is foreign to me. But what does it mean to put out a call?

I would ask the agent but you know how it goes. You don’t want to scare them off!

Happy Easter everyone

:taz: <--- just pretend it's a bunny.
Find the blessing in your curse

Offline Miss Plum

Re: Agent Speak Decoded
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 10:10:42 AM »
Put out calls = make calls. We're talking about phone calls, right?

My guess is "put out" is used to connote an attempt at accomplishing something with these calls with no certainty of success.

Offline Johnny 5

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 10:56:03 AM »
I don't think phone calls Miss Plum, no. It was in response to a question I asked about what agents are currently seeking in the market, and in the reply that part sentence was included.

My take was it meant to "send out a public message" or "make public the message of" but wanted to check if it was maybe a term others on here were familiar with.

UPDATE:
I just found this definition on a random site: To publicize that one is looking for or in need of someone or something.

OK makes sense now :)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 11:01:37 AM by jonny_555 »

Offline JeanneG

• Jeanne Lyet Gassman
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 03:46:55 PM »
I would interpret that as a "call for submission," or "request for certain types of books." Similar to what magazines mean when they put out a "call for submission."  The agent is saying he/she would like to see certain storylines or genres.

JeanneG
Debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press) released in March 2015; winner of IPPY in national category of religious fiction and currently a finalist for IAN Book of the Year. My work-in-progress: THE DOUBLE SUN.
FB: https://www.facebook.com/JeanneLyetGassman
Twitter: @JLyetGassman

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 07:44:01 AM »
I'm with Jeanne, that editors make it known that they're looking for a cozy mysery with corgis in it, or whatever.

Offline Miss Plum

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 10:17:51 AM »
Seconded (or fifthed, accordingly). That was pretty much my meaning, whether by phone or other means.

Offline Johnny 5

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 01:28:06 AM »
Thanks everyone :)

Glad this mystery is solved