Author Topic: Oh lord, now I want to swap out my submitted full for my latest revision  (Read 593 times)

Offline Miss Plum

Hi, all

So one of my beta readers got back to me at looooong last, with some fabulous suggestions for my manuscript. I made them and it's so much better now -- now that I've already submitted it on a full request. The agent in question has had it for just a month, which basically means she hasn't opened it yet. I'm soooo tempted to send her my improved version, but that would make it look like I broke a querying commandment and submitted it before it was polished and perfect (which would be true, but let's not go there :sad:).

Suggestions? Should I simply tell her what I told you and attach another file?

Offline littlewritings

Something similar has happened to me. Two agents had my full at that time and I emailed them to tell them that I had an updated version of my manuscript and asked if they'd like me to send it to them. They both said yes, please send it over. I don't know what the etiquette is on just sending it without a warning, but asking politely if they want it has definitely worked for me.

Offline jonny_555

• I live in the UK but aim to publish in the US.
Hello Miss Plum,

It's a tough one. Does the agency have a standard general info email address you could reach out to ask the question and get their advice? Or maybe they have an FAQ that has an entry for your situation. You could also maybe get a friend or use a different e-mail address to ask the question direct to the agent without giving yourself away (if you know what I mean). It's pity agencies are generally closed to phone calls for such things.

I have been down this road and retracted one such query through Query Manager with a US agent. It allowed me to add comments when I did so, and I noted that I had reworked the manuscript. I got a reply from the agent (it may have been form) but she thanked me for letting her know. I then submitted the updated query as a new submission. Still waiting on a response.

I also tried the above with a UK agency for the same query. They used e-mail and not Query Manager, and when I asked the question (can I retract and resubmit) I got a reply the next day apologizing for the delay and saying that the agents will read my query eventually and that the delay is due to the number of queries. So they clearly misread my e-mail asking about the retraction. I followed up with a response to clarify what I was asking, and three weeks later I'm still waiting on a response.

Find the blessing in your curse

Offline Odd John

• Odds are even odds.
That's a tough one unless you have a generous agent contact to begin with, as per littlewritings.

Is this your dream agent?

You could thread the needle by asking if you can send the (re)draft -- with a note saying the the other MS was an earlier version and was sent in error. You might get away with this but I think only once. Of course, don't slip up and call it a "redraft". You'd be telling the whole truth but for a small fib of omission.
My inferiority complex masks my superiority complex. It's very convenient.

- John

Offline Miss Plum

Thanks for your ideas, all.

Odd John, what can I say, she requested my manuscript -- she's my dream!

I think I'll request the re-send and just tell her the truth. One thing I keep learning over and over is that agents are human. They just might understand a little slip-up.

ETA: I just saw this on an agent's website: "A grammar error or misspelling will never dissuade us from reading a query. We know that emails are pored over, like books, and yet we still miss things in the copyedit."

More evidence that agents are human and understand the occasional mistake.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 01:41:09 PM by Miss Plum »

Offline littlewritings

One more thing I'd suggest: Stay in the email thread you already have with that agent, so they immediately know which manuscript your email is about. (If you sent it via QM, you can use the "send message" option.)

(I wouldn't recommend lying to the agent, because that's no way of starting a professional relationship. You have an updated version and you're offering it to them, simple as that.)

Offline rivergirl

If I was an agent, I'd be wondering why you didn't send me your very best version. This ship has sailed in my opinion. Let it go. If it's in tip-top shape and marketable, someone else will want it.

Offline Miss Plum

If I was an agent, I'd be wondering why you didn't send me your very best version.
Yup, there's the problem. "Thou Shalt Not Send Thy Second-Best Draft" is inscribed on a stone tablet somewhere. Unfortunately, I didn't know it was my second-best until I got some useful commentary from a beta reader I'd given up on.

Offline richardclin

• Richard C Lin - Author Website
Hi Miss Plum,

I had posted a similar question a few weeks ago but hadn't picked up any response. So thank you for posting this question as I feel it very significant. I too am in this boat after a couple of R&R from agents and feedback from this kind group of authors. I consulted with a trad published author friend of mine along with two professional freelance editor friends of mine. All suggested waiting a couple of months before sending such a note asking whether the agent might like to review the new version instead of the old one. Otherwise, it may come across as a nudge, which I guess is usually reserved for when you receive an offer of representation or sufficient time has passed (i.e., 2-3 months for a partial, 4-6 months for a full seems to be a standard range).

Of course, the risk with this approach is that this increases the chance they have already read or started into the old version.

I do agree that honesty is the best course. I also feel that opening up and asking politely (as littlewritings shared) seems to work. For instance, after any personal rejection, I always politely ask for feedback and whether they might allow me to act on them. A couple have declined, a few have not responded, but three have agreed to a resubmit. One offered to take another look if I re-oriented my memoir towards the YA market and suggested some YA books for me to read up on. So I guess it goes back to the old axiom "it never hurts to ask (politely)." And, as I learned from a mentor many years ago, most people are willing to help if you humbly ask them for counsel.

Another observation I have made in my limited experience: it appears to spur some agents to action when you honestly share with them that you have been receiving attention/feedback from other agents. For example, I will ask them for their perspective on some feedback that other agents have provided. Again, a few have responded positively with their views.

So, getting back to the original question, I do plan to send newer versions after some more time has passed and just being upfront and saying, sorry, but this is now better. If you wish to stick with the original, please by all means do so. If somehow you have not gotten to my MS, then you have the option of a new one. Would you like to see it? I think it might be fine to do once. Of course, perhaps this gets me banished to the far corners of the query world by an agent or two, but I question whether they would do so if the MS resonates with them. And if they do, is this an agent I would really partner well with?

Not sure whether the more sage and experienced authors agree with any of my approaches.

Thank you again, Ms. Plum, for bringing up this pertinent point for many of us.

RCL
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 11:48:55 PM by richardclin »

Offline Miss Plum

RCL, I didn't realize you had pretty much asked this question, and I'm glad my raising it has helped you with feedback.

You've presented a great summary of the risks and advantages, and raised yet another risk: that it looks like a clumsily disguised nudge, which I also feared.

As always, politeness and respect should carry the day, and whatever I choose to do -- I get only one go.

Offline Odd John

• Odds are even odds.
In deference to the summary view of the community, and with a different focus in thought, I am withdrawing my prior note on this thread. (Not deleting, I still own it.) Having said this, the suggestion was essentially true: the original submission was an earlier version and it was an error to send it.

As to little fibs, they are a necessary evil. We are adults here. Let's be honest about fibs. If you tell me you've never told a fib, I'd tell you you were lying. Agents will fib to you about their return calls/response times, not to mention the vague fib of the typical stuttered form rejection. Of course, only an extreme situation should lead you to a feather-light "harmless" fib.

But after further thought, there's the rub. Not a singular fib, but habit. Suppose familiarity leads to greater use? Or instead of "little fibs" then "medium fibs". This could get out of hand and lead to "Stephen King sent me a PM, telling me my horror novel is better than anything he's ever written." (Um, tougue-in-cheek here.) The risk to the writer/Agent relationship is too serious to jeopardize.

So, again, adult though I may be, I withdraw my prior post.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 06:22:11 AM by Odd John »

- John

Offline Miss Plum

Odd John, I appreciate the thought. The idea of fibbing about accidentally sending the wrong draft occurred to me. At some point, I might tell a fib to save my literary career. And yes of course this is my natural hair color.

Offline Odd John

• Odds are even odds.
MissPlum: An actual LOL re: hair color.!   ;D

- John

Offline hesterL

I believe Jessica Sinsheimer addressed this issue in a blog post some years ago (I'll see if I can find the link!) If I remember correctly, she said it was okay to sub a "new and improved version" provided you reach out to the agent first to see if they're amenable to seeing the revised version. From what I've seen on this site, most agents are fine with this--they're not going to hold it against you if you made some post-sub revisions that strengthen the manuscript.

Best of luck with it Miss Plum!!!!!!

Offline richardclin

• Richard C Lin - Author Website

Hi Hester,

This is extremely helpful and provides confidence in reaching out to agents to see whether they would like to see the revised version. It seems much more expedient to simply attach the new version and indicate it is up to them whether they would like to sub it for the original, but I guess the two-step approach is more "courteous.'

I believe Jessica Sinsheimer addressed this issue in a blog post some years ago (I'll see if I can find the link!) If I remember correctly, she said it was okay to sub a "new and improved version" provided you reach out to the agent first to see if they're amenable to seeing the revised version. From what I've seen on this site, most agents are fine with this--they're not going to hold it against you if you made some post-sub revisions that strengthen the manuscript.

Best of luck with it Miss Plum!!!!!!