Author Topic: Art + Deco Agency  (Read 463 times)

Offline raktinope

Art + Deco Agency
« on: April 12, 2021, 02:59:01 PM »
I need help evaluating an agency not on the main QT site: Art + Deco Agency

The biggest red flag is the complete lack of clients or books on their website. Of the three agents, one has virtually no online presence besides the agent About Us page, one's main site is a book blog (no clients), and the last advertises a slew of book related services except being an agent!

I'd write this agency off completely since I can't find a single book deal they've inked, but one agent, Felice Laverne, seems to have legitimate connections in publishing as an editor/ghostwriter. Maybe she's transition to being an agent and just started. I don't know if I want to submit though.

What are your thoughts?

Offline jonny_555

• I live in the UK but aim to publish in the US.
Re: Art + Deco Agency
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 03:34:28 PM »
Don't know much about them, but they look like a brand new agency. I loved the submissions section where it says this very inspiring piece (much needed!):

The way you tell your story can make all the difference.

Be clear, be confident and don’t overthink it. The beauty of your story is that it’s going to continue to evolve. Your goal should be to match with the best agent for your book and your career by presenting the very best work you can. Later will take care of itself. It always does.

Find the blessing in your curse

Offline littlewritings

Re: Art + Deco Agency
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 01:18:38 AM »
I would say... don't do it.

Even if an agent claims that they have connections in publishing, if they don't have any experience *as an agent*, they'll likely end up harming your writing career. Being an editor and being an agent are two very different jobs and switching from one to the other without any training is a major red flag. The head of an agency should always have experience and should have worked for another agency (as an agent, not an intern) before starting their own agency.

(And you've already pointed out the lack of clients/sold books on their website – which is a red flag as well.)