Author Topic: Aztec Gods v. Greek ones  (Read 460 times)

Offline AVA_writing

Aztec Gods v. Greek ones
« on: April 12, 2021, 03:46:01 PM »
This is random. I am writing a early chapter book on Aztec Gods, but am taking a lot of liberties with them. Greek gods have seen those liberties, but with Aztec history being so recent, is that not allowed? I wonder at the reception...

Offline raktinope

Re: Aztec Gods v. Greek ones
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 07:05:53 PM »
If you don't come from a background that draws ancestry from the Aztec, you do the risk of appropriating. If you are borrowing culture, you should be mindful of any harm your story may do to the community that your are borrowing from. Also, do your research about what misconceptions and creative representations that already exist out there.

That doesn't mean you can't write your story, but research, research, research.

Offline MKWrites_318

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 08:07:15 PM »
I want to second everything raktinope said, and add that there are some descendants of the Aztecs who heavily identify with that history, so tread carefully and respectfully, get Mexican sensitivity readers, and like raktinope said, do a ton of research.

And if you aren't Mexican, I'll say what I always say to people considering writing about or in the POV of a marginalized culture outside their own: Ask yourself, "Am I the best person to write this story or about this topic? Am I the best person to bring a story about this culture/people to young readers?"

Offline AVA_writing

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 09:53:20 PM »
I appreciate the perspectives @ratkinope and @MKwrites_318.

I am of a Central American country where the pre-colombian indigenous culture permeates our history, food, arts and crafts. I am of mestizo heritage and identify that way. That said, I don't speak a Nahuatl language, and no one in my family has since the Spanish conquered us. I would like a fantasy book to bring these deities to life for my children, with a little bit of adventure. 

The research will be done and I will see how the latitudes I take in plot are taken.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 10:22:40 PM by AVA_writing »

Offline MKWrites_318

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 05:28:44 PM »
I am of mestizo heritage and identify that way. That said, I don't speak a Nahuatl language, and no one in my family has since the Spanish conquered us. I would like a fantasy book to bring these deities to life for my children, with a little bit of adventure. 

That is a beautiful goal.

By the way, have you looked into the imprint Rick Riordan Presents? This sounds like exactly the sort of thing they publish. From Rick Riordan's website:

"Rick Riordan Presents is one small branch of the Disney-Hyperion Publishing family. We aim to publish about four books a year. All these will be books that my editor Stephanie Lurie and I feel will appeal to kids who like my books. In other words, they will probably be some type of middle grade adventure, with lots of humor and action, and probably draw on myth or folklore in some way.

Our goal is to publish great middle grade authors from underrepresented cultures and backgrounds, to let them tell their own stories inspired by the mythology and folklore of their own heritage. Over the years, I’ve gotten many questions from my fans about whether I might write about various world mythologies, but in most cases I knew I wasn’t the best person to write those books. Much better, I thought, to use my experience and my platform at Disney to put the spotlight on other great writers who are actually from those cultures and know the mythologies* better than I do. Let them tell their own stories, and I would do whatever I could to help those books find a wide audience!"

That imprint might be something worth looking into for you and this work.  :)

Offline AVA_writing

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 07:37:24 PM »
Thank you MKWrites_318! I will definitely use the tip when the manuscript is completed.  :up:  I would give you karma if I knew how to.  ;D

Offline raktinope

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 01:29:47 PM »
...I would give you karma if I knew how to.  ;D

Under the number of posts and karma of a user, you'll see a link titled "[Applaud]". That's how you give karma.