Author Topic: Make It A Double...  (Read 394 times)

Offline Odd John

• Odds are even odds.
Make It A Double...
« on: April 19, 2021, 07:42:22 AM »
Does anyone else work on two MS at once?

I find that one MS provides relief for the other, especially when the first is getting bogged down.
Although I worry that this or that character or plot point will leak into the other MS...

:yes::no:, or  :crazy: ?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 02:53:13 AM by Odd John »
My inferiority complex masks my superiority complex. It's very convenient.

- John

Offline Johnny 5

• I live in the UK but aim to publish in the US.
Re: Make It A Double...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 08:21:48 AM »
I once worked on three screenplays at once. One was going into production, one was a personal conquest, the other was colab for a pitch. It was odd John (hehe), I found myself hopping between each one with a great burst of energy and was a fountain of ideas. I was able to keep each one separate but found my way through each story with help of the others. The only problem I had was when character names started overlapping :)

I've written short stories while doing a full manuscript, or started other full lengths (for the future), but to keep on top of two full lengths . . . haven't tried. Hmmmm.

An aside, I can't read more than one book at a time either. I have to finish one or DNF one before starting the next.
Find the blessing in your curse

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 08:52:22 AM »
I've tried, but I'm more of a serial monogamist. If I stop working on Project A to work on Project B, I typically work on B until it's finished ad then return to A.

Intriguingly, I've found that sometimes if I've stalled on Project A and switch to B, I unconsciously craft B to tackle a skill I need to master before I can continue working on A. So it's useful, but I can't multitask.

Offline raktinope

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 10:05:47 AM »
Similar to @Tabris, I'm a serial monogamist. I have to kill a project to before moving on to a another one

Offline FlyingViking

• Bold, but with a hint of whimsy
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 01:14:54 AM »
I'm with the rest of you...

...I may flirt with outlines of stories yet to be told, dally with short stories and novellas, and toy with the occasional movie synopsis.

But I'm married to my WIP, for better or worse, until rejection letters do us apart.
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.

- Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Johnny 5

• I live in the UK but aim to publish in the US.
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 01:27:42 AM »
The loyalty is strong with these ones
Find the blessing in your curse