Author Topic: Why are some queries rejected, others ignored?  (Read 585 times)

Offline DougD

Why are some queries rejected, others ignored?
« on: April 21, 2021, 08:06:51 PM »
My query has received 8 full requests so far and while I live the agony and ecstasy that is my life now for the next week(s), I wanted to ask a question:

Does anyone know why agents who are regularly reading queries and rejecting/ requesting, skip over a few and never come back to them? Earlier, I used to think these are writers not recording the responses, but now that mine has been skipped over on various occasions, I'm wondering why agents do that--why ghost someone when all you have to do is click a button for form-response reject?  :huh:

Offline raktinope

Re: Why are some queries rejected, others ignored?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 08:12:51 PM »
I honestly think they forget, especially if they query out of order. Let's say an agent gets 2000 queries a year (which is a conservative number). If they respond to 99% of them, 20 queries will be ghosted. I don't think anyone does anything at 99% percent efficiency. Some may legitimately slip through the cracks.

Offline richardclin

• Richard C Lin - Author Website
Re: Why are some queries rejected, others ignored?
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 12:44:56 PM »

Dear DougD,

Wow, requests for eight fulls. You should be very proud. I've not had as many requests for fulls (four versus eight requests for partials), so know they are difficult to come by. I sometimes wonder what prompts an agent to request a full versus a partial.

I once read on QT how MMQ Agency requested partials in 50-page increments like five times. Then they requested the full as they were getting close to the end of the MS anyhow. And...they ended up rejecting this poor author. I cannot imagine how crushed they must have felt--it sounded quite cruel to me. Fortunately (or unfortunately), this agency only requested my first 50 pages, then allowed me to do an R&R, and then rejected me without much more fuss...

I wish you all the best on your fulls...along with any partials you might have out there. May none of us ever get "MMQ'd" as that poor author did...

RCL

My query has received 8 full requests so far and while I live the agony and ecstasy that is my life now for the next week(s), I wanted to ask a question:

Does anyone know why agents who are regularly reading queries and rejecting/ requesting, skip over a few and never come back to them? Earlier, I used to think these are writers not recording the responses, but now that mine has been skipped over on various occasions, I'm wondering why agents do that--why ghost someone when all you have to do is click a button for form-response reject?  :huh: