Author Topic: Anti-male bias?  (Read 1787 times)

Offline FlyingViking

• Bold, but with a hint of whimsy
Re: Anti-male bias?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2021, 02:03:35 AM »
A few people made the supposition that agents are business people, and therefore would want to represent books that will sell. You could say the same thing about biased news sources such as the New York Times, which you'd think would want to make money, but instead pushes a singular agenda to the detriment of the paper's financial stability.

You actually had some sympathy from me up until this point. The New York Times, unlike many of its competitors, is actually a publicly traded company.  That creates two issues for you:

First, their financial statements are made available for public scrutiny, and from all accounts, they're doing fine.

Second, if the market (i.e., shareholders) are dissatisfied with the "singular agenda" they will elect a new Board, and the new Board will set a new direction for the company.  So far, in the 170 year history of the company, that has not happened.

And the theory that the entire publishing industry is one giant anti-male conspiracy doesn't pass the red face test.  You simply don't earn a significant market share by disregarding the bottom line.  Companies don't just get by, they get ahead.  That's how Penguin/Harper Collins/Simon & Schuster dominate the market to the expense of all others.
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.

- Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2021, 12:37:24 PM »
Given the flexibility of pen names, we really have no idea how many published writers on any particular list are male and how many are female. Because the name on the cover *is* a marketing thing. Some men writer under women's names if they're writing romance or women's fiction. I knew women writing SF under male names or initials. Some genres are just perceived as the territory of a particular gender, and while it's dumb, a lot of marketing is dumb.

I had a guy come up to my book table at a craft fair once and tell me he never reads books written by women. So I suggested he read JD Robb and Robert Galbraith. (I didn't care.  Let him go be ignorant somewhere else. His own fault if he misses out on a lot of awesome books.)

Offline MKWrites_318

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2021, 02:35:47 PM »
I had a guy come up to my book table at a craft fair once and tell me he never reads books written by women.

To which I would have replied, "My condolences on the frailty of your manhood, kitten."

Offline JeanneG

• Jeanne Lyet Gassman
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2021, 03:21:39 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap:

JeanneG
Debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press) released in March 2015; winner of IPPY in national category of religious fiction and currently a finalist for IAN Book of the Year. My work-in-progress: THE DOUBLE SUN.
FB: https://www.facebook.com/JeanneLyetGassman
Twitter: @JLyetGassman

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2021, 09:15:29 AM »
I had a guy come up to my book table at a craft fair once and tell me he never reads books written by women.

To which I would have replied, "My condolences on the frailty of your manhood, kitten."

Having dealt with people like him all my life, I suspect he wanted to get a rise out of me. Nothing bothers that type more than getting brushed off. (He kept adding things like, "Too many flowers in the books" because I was the jerk depriving him of his fun. Yeah, go read JD Robb--no flowers in those books. Oh, and PM Griffin--read those books too. And Andre Norton! Have a great day.)

Offline MKWrites_318

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2021, 01:47:34 PM »
Nothing bothers that type more than getting brushed off.

Solid point. I need to remember that more often.

Offline rogber

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2021, 03:29:20 PM »
Actually, an interesting article about this topic in the Guardian recently:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/may/16/how-women-conquered-the-world-of-fiction#comments

But I think it depends on genre as well. Literary fiction is very female- and "other voices"-focused nowadays, thrillers probably less so. And the article goes on to say that perhaps class, more than gender, is an even bigger issue. Well worth a read for a more nuanced take.

But would also agree with others: no point seeing a big conspiracy out there. Write the best work you can, send it out there, and if it really connects with an agent or publisher, they won't reject you because of your gender.