Author Topic: maximus literary  (Read 519 times)

Offline spencer417

maximus literary
« on: May 15, 2021, 10:04:56 AM »
Does anyone know anything about this agency or has anyone had any experience querying/working with them? From their website, it looks like it's just one agent and she reps Tiger King/Joe Exotic...but that seems to be her only sale? I tried looking online and didn't find much on them, so was curious if anyone here has any info. Thank you!

Offline MKWrites_318

Re: maximus literary
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 12:09:26 PM »
So, per google, she was an editor before opening her agency. It seems like she worked with indie authors, not with a publishing house. I'm also not seeing any evidence that she's worked at another literary agency, and both of those factors are concerning. That doesn't mean she doesn't have connections, necessarily, but it does mean that we don't have a lot of proof of those connections. And it also means that she doesn't seem to have any experience with agenting. Like if she were new but had worked under an established and reputable agent, I wouldn't be as concerned, but she doesn't seem to have that.

I'm not going to say she's a schmagent or something, but that sale for Joe Exotic is recent and for a salacious celebrity. So that's an easier sale than say a debut novel for an unknown author. I would tread carefully.

There are ways to weed out bad agents/schmagents during The Call, so I wouldn't be too stressed about her at the querying stage, but I would make a note on your list of agents that she'll need to be vetted thoroughly before you'd even think about signing with her.

Offline jonny_555

• I live in the UK but aim to publish in the US.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 01:50:07 PM »
Must be Carole Baskin at it again!
Find the blessing in your curse

Offline andtheotherstars

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 02:29:17 PM »
On her website, it looks like she sold two other books for two other clients. One is a companion to Save the Cat! and the other was sold to a small press (but one that seems legit).