Author Topic: Black American Crit Partner Request  (Read 304 times)

Offline rivergirl

Black American Crit Partner Request
« on: May 24, 2021, 04:15:56 PM »
I know this sounds like a bizarre request. I'm writing a historical fiction based in the 1850s when slavery was booming. My story begins on a plantation (with slaves) and then later she interacts heavily with a hoodoo medicine woman. Another set of eyes would be greatly appreciated as both writer and sensitivity screening. While I don't use the abhorrent n word in my novel there are some dialects that could be offensive by today's standards. I struggle with being historically accurate but not offensive at the same time.

Let me know if there are any takers. The book as I mentioned is a tale of hoodoo with a romantic thread. I'd suggest trading a chapter or two to make sure we are a good fit.

Offline MegTravelz

Re: Black American Crit Partner Request
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 06:24:01 PM »
Hi Rivergirl! White girl here, so I obviously cannot help with a sensitivity read. Just wondering if this is paid? Sensitivity reads (as you probably know) are emotional labor, so payment is usually offered. Wishing you the best with your book!

Offline rivergirl

Re: Black American Crit Partner Request
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 09:25:47 PM »
Meg, no this is not a paid read. I'm looking for a partner who's willing to trade works. I had no idea that a sensitivity read required payment. I'm glad to know this is the case. Perhaps I shouldn't call it a sensitivity read. I haven't written anything that requires a trigger warning and don't believe I'm offering anything that is emotionally distressing to anyone of color. At least there won't be anything gory in my book or shocking as related to slavery. It is a historical fiction, however, and in an abundance of caution, I'd love some feedback.