Author Topic: Networking and schmoozing with agents (Strategy?)  (Read 290 times)

Offline jonny_555

• I live in the UK but aim to publish in the US.
Networking and schmoozing with agents (Strategy?)
« on: May 26, 2021, 06:12:34 AM »
Hi everyone,

For those who don't live in NYC or London, what is the best way to network with literary agents and build relationships, especially if you don't use Twitter (not that you don't know how to use it, but don't WANT to use it)?

Some things I could think of:

1. Get a job (any role) at a publishing house and eventually get to know people
2. Ask friends if they know anyone in the industry and get a word in to meet or have a call
3. End up living next door to an agent or publisher and becoming friends

. . . and that is it. This is not considering winning contests, going viral and getting attention, already being popular/notable for something and that sort of stuff. This is hit the streets kind of thinking, which I think is sometimes overlooked. We get so embroidered in online living and Twitter that it's hard to imagine there's a world outside that with real humans. I know I certainly forget that sometimes.

Find the blessing in your curse

Offline Munley

• Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: Networking and schmoozing with agents (Strategy?)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 07:16:48 AM »
Here is the link for the Publishers Lunch Job Board

https://www.publishersmarketplace.com/jobs/

You don't need a paid membership with Publishers Weekly to view these jobs, but you do need one for most other things PM publishes, such as agent profiles, their latest book deals, information on submissions, etc. You pay $25 per month, which is worth it, some say, if you are actively querying.

Offline jldelozier

• Author website
Re: Networking and schmoozing with agents (Strategy?)
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 01:06:39 PM »
The single best way is by chatting with them at conferences NOT in the home cities (like Bouchercon.)  I know conferences are quite an expense. However, some do offer grants/scholarships. And BTW - the best place to chat is not during a pitch sessions. It's at the bar afterward, which is why I said at a conference NOT in the agent's home city!
Jen/J.L. Delozier

Storm Shelter, Type & Cross, Blood Type X, Con Me Once