Author Topic: Landed my agent!  (Read 2782 times)

Offline kdsd731

Landed my agent!
« on: May 12, 2020, 02:28:21 PM »
I wanted to come on here and share my success story in hopes of encouraging others to keep going.

I started querying back in late August of 2019. I queried about 35 agents (some from in person pitches, some from Twitter pitch contests), got about 6 full requests and 2 partials. Most of the fulls came back as rejections, though two were still up in the air. I was offered rep in April by an agent I queried back in September and she seemed great, but I wanted to reach out to others who still had my manuscript (as you always should).  I nudged every agent who still had a full, partial, and even a query.  This led to another full request from an agent who had a partial, but she politely passed.

Here's where it gets really exciting: One day before I was set to sign with the agent who made the original offer, an agent who I queried in Feb emailed me to say she was sorry she missed out on my MS and that I should let her know if it ever becomes available again. I responded to let her know I hadn't signed yet and she asked me to send her the full so she could pull an all-nighter. And she did. She emailed me an offer of rep/phone call early the next morning and I accepted. I think that might have been one of the craziest whirlwinds of my life and definitely of my writing career.

Let me just tell you that I almost didn't even reach out to agents with only a query because it seemed like an impossible feat to squeeze in a read in a small two week time frame. But as they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I'm so glad I went with this agent as she seems amazing already. She's very knowledgeable and has a lot of years in the industry, including novel editing experience for a big publisher.

Here's my other piece of encouragement: I almost gave up on this MS so many times. I've been working on it for years. Years. I revised it so many times and worried I'd never get it right. I'm so glad I didn't give up. This book turned out to be everything I always hoped it would be and I know with her editing notes, I will sharpen it even more before submission.

Don't give up on your dreams, you have no idea how close you might be.

Offline jcwrites

Re: Landed my agent!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 04:05:14 PM »
Good story. Never give up.

Offline TigerAsh

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 01:27:25 AM »
Congrats! Great story!  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline MDane

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 01:48:23 AM »
Awesome story and great motivation. Thanks for sharing!

One thing I am curious about (and will experience one day): what do you tell the agent who has offered to rep you while you reach out to the others?

Cheers again

Offline kdsd731

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 11:37:40 AM »
Thank you and great question MDane.

The original offering agent knew I was contacting other agents and suggested I do so. I'd say almost all agents expect this and know it's common courtesy to agents who may be taking time to read your manuscript. Not giving them a chance to reply, especially if they've put time into your work, is in bad form. The offering agent gave me 2-3 weeks to get back to her.

At the end of the call, you should let them know that you need a little time to contact any agents with your MS, to tie up loose ends, and I would ask what their time frame is. Two weeks is pretty standard. And again, this shouldn't be a shock to the agent and I think if they react poorly, that might be a good sign you don't want to work with them.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Offline eroux

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 04:17:31 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS and thanks for this post! I needed to hear this today! <3

Offline michaelnue

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 04:04:34 PM »
I'm glad i stayed on to read this!  i am just starting out in this venture and needed to hear that the system does definitely work!  congratulations!

Offline Miss Plum

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 05:08:39 PM »
I'm waaaayy late to this thread, but I hope kdsd731 is still around to satisfy my curiosity about one point...

What was it about "the agent who made the original offer" that caused you to prefer the agent you wound up signing with?

Also, I think I've got your timeline...
  • Late August/September 2019 -- querying, including Agent A
  • February 2020 -- queried Agent B
  • April 2020 -- Agent A offers rep
  • You notify all other queried agents that you've been offered rep, and Agent B gets back to you and asks for a full, which you send, and then she offers you rep and you accept it.

Offline richardclin

• Richard C Lin - Author Website
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 04:17:54 AM »
Dear KDSD,

Wow, this was an incredible ride for you. Thank you for sharing it. I could feel the goosebumps as I read your dramatic journey.

Congratulations to you and wish you incredible success in selling the MS and getting it onto the shelves. I am sure it will be a major success!

Sincerely,
RCL

Offline Odd John

• Odds are even odds.
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 10:35:12 AM »
Many congratulations, and thanks for all the encouragement!
My inferiority complex masks my superiority complex. It's very convenient.

- John

Offline 217mom

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2021, 05:54:21 PM »
 :clap: Congratulations and here's to happy endings  :clap: