Author Topic: Chance that link in a query letter will send it to agent's spam filter?  (Read 308 times)

Offline Munley

• Nova Scotia, Canada
Just wondering how likely it is that including a link to your own web page or any other page will garner an automatic detour to the agent's SPAM folder ---- and never be read at all.

I have friends send me links to various site all the time in my email. They never go to the spam folder unless they are from some commonly known spammer. But maybe it could be a problem in other email programs.

Any thoughts?

Offline FlyingViking

• Bold, but with a hint of whimsy
Usually links to verified sites don't get filtered out, but it all depends on the spam filter used.  One work-around, if you're sending from Outlook, is to send the email as a text file rather than HTML.  That way the link will just be characters and not a hyperlink, and likely not picked up by the spam filter.
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.

- Leonardo da Vinci

Offline jonny_555

• I live in the UK but aim to publish in the US.
Definitely a chance, and more or so if the agency is big enough to have Mimecast or a similar filter system in place, which can have standard and custom rules set up. These can change at any time. In my day to day dealings with corporations, mails with links get blocked all the time (even when in attachments) because of new improvements or company IT policy changes.

Find the blessing in your curse

Offline Munley

• Nova Scotia, Canada
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like the best bet is to either use text if including a link, or not include one at all.

It would really be something for an author to keep regarding the query letter as needing improvement if half of the no-responses were due to never having been read because they went directly to the spam folder.

Offline jonny_555

• I live in the UK but aim to publish in the US.
Just imagine! :)
Find the blessing in your curse