Author Topic: Querying agent who reps comp title  (Read 260 times)

Offline tbdavidson1

Querying agent who reps comp title
« on: June 05, 2021, 07:46:29 PM »
Hello writers! I'm wondering about a scenario I have and whether I should go for this.

Agent A represents author B, who wrote a comparison title of mine. However, the published title is historical fiction. My title is historical fantasy. Agent A does not represent fantasy.

Could I query the agent anyway under the premise that my book has similar themes, especially historical elements? Or am I going to waste the agent's time?

TIA.

Offline raktinope

Re: Querying agent who reps comp title
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 11:01:04 PM »
If the agent doesn't rep fantasy I wouldn't send them a fantasy novel. Also agents often will not request manuscripts they like because they are too similar to what they represent already.

All that said, the worst thing that can happen is they reject you.

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
Re: Querying agent who reps comp title
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 09:33:46 AM »
Even if the stories are very similar in tone and style and plot, an agent who sells historical and no fantasy won't necessarily have the connections to sell a fantasy novel.

Best case scenario is the agent DOES have the connections and likes it and can sell it. Second-best case scenario is the agent recognizes they don't have the connections to sell it and turns you down.

Worst case scenario is they love your manuscript for all the same reasons they loved your comp title, and they take it on figuring, "I can learn to sell this!"  (Second worst-case scenario: you get an R&R where the agent asks you to remove all the fantasy elements.) :-b

If you're going to continue to write fantasy in the future, and your agent doesn't have a toe in those waters, you might find your options limited.

The thing I wouldn't worry about here is wasting the agent's time. As long as your query honestly states your genre, if fantasy is a dealbreaker, the agent will at most waste fifteen seconds getting to that point and saying, "Yeah, no." Deception = wasting their time. Honestly explaining your book = part of the querying process.