Author Topic: Agent Query after Self-Publishing  (Read 423 times)

Offline LenV

Agent Query after Self-Publishing
« on: June 06, 2021, 10:50:31 AM »
After a few dozen rejections, I threw in the towel and published my legal thriller, "Tongue of the Ocean" on KDP. The reviews so far have been excellent. The novel is set up to be the first of a series, and several readers asked when the next one is coming out. I am working on it now.  My question: Is there any sense to continue pitching it, or do I have to wait until the next one is finished?

Offline jcwrites

Re: Agent Query after Self-Publishing
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 11:44:31 AM »
Not sure I understand the question: "Is there any sense to continue pitching it...."  By "it" I gather you're referring to the novel you self-pubbed, presumably to find an agent who will in turn seek a traditional publisher who will re-issue it. That can happen, but it will depend heavily on the unit sales you can report. (Think "thousands", with the actual number depending on whom you ask.)

You might stand a better chance if you finish #2, pitch it on its own merits, and if/when you sell it, then bring up #1.

Good luck.

Offline AVA_writing

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 10:44:40 PM »
Have you thought about getting the attention of Amazon Publishing?

https://blog.reedsy.com/amazon-publishing/

Check out this article on its imprints and how some folks got deals with them based on their marketing plans.

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 11:06:10 AM »
I think Book 2 in a series is going to be a very hard sell to a mainstream publisher if Book 1 is indie published. Since you're indie now, I'm going to say you're committed to that track for this particular series UNLESS...

UNLESS you sell a significant number of copies. And by significant, I mean over five thousand sales of the book at full price.

If you can move that many copies on your own, then you might be able to pitch both the original book and its sequels because it's already shown you know how to market your own book and that you have an audience waiting for the next books. (The logical next question is if you can move that many copies, do you really need a traditional publisher, but no one can answer that except for you.)

Offline LenV

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 07:51:03 AM »
Thanks to those who replied. Your answers are helpful and pretty much what I expected. Just batting around ideas here--what if I just unpublish Book #1 for a while and start the pitch process all over?

Offline jcwrites

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 08:01:04 AM »
Nope, you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.  Once it's out there, it's out there.

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 08:26:33 AM »
Thanks to those who replied. Your answers are helpful and pretty much what I expected. Just batting around ideas here--what if I just unpublish Book #1 for a while and start the pitch process all over?

No, published is published. If you go traditional after this, it's either with an entirely new creation or else it's because this book took off on its own.