Author Topic: anyone else on submission?  (Read 1747 times)

Offline rogber

anyone else on submission?
« on: June 13, 2021, 02:14:43 PM »
This part of the forum seems pretty quiet compared to the agent section. Is anyone else out on sub right now and how is it going?

My experience of sub so far (first time for me) has been brutal, can only agree with those who say it's worse than trying to find an agent, the flip-flopping between hope - so close to the goal at last - and despair - fear of not clearing the last hurdle.

Found an agent for my novel at the end of winter, was over the moon. After relatively minor edits, manuscript was sent out in spring and the agent (at a smallish agency, but with a solid track record) was very optimistic.
Result 3 months down the line: half of round 1 publishers have passed, the other half no reply so also starting to looking like a pass.
Now preparing for round 2 and I desperately want to stay hopeful but it's so hard not to get pessimistic at this stage.

Anyone else going through this and how are your experiences?

Offline AnUlstermaninIdaho

Re: anyone else on submission?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 11:02:26 AM »
Hi Rogber,

Yeah, I’m on submission too, and by the sounds of it, we’ve had fairly similar experiences. I got picked up by my agent around the end of February. Like you, this is a small agency with (I think) a decent track record. My revisions were also pretty quick and since then, I’ve been in the trenches for almost three months. One area where we differ is the approach my agent is adopting. We are doing very small, very targeted submissions and submitting to another editor quickly if there is a rejection or no response. So far, I’ve had one pass it on to a more suitable colleague and another request the full manuscript.

This may be a question for anyone who has more experience of being on submission but when I see estimations of how long before a response (if any) it typically refers to the point from which the agent submitted. Does anyone have any idea how long it typically takes for a response after the editor has said they was to read? Or, like all aspects of this process, is it foolish to even think of being on submission in such human terms as “time”?

Looking forward to charting your progress more Rogber. Keep that chin up.

Offline rogber

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 03:29:39 PM »
Now nearly 5 months gone, all round 1 publishers (all of whom were Big 5 imprints) passed. Lots of "really strong work, but not quite right for our list" comments. But a pass is a pass.
Now about to send out round 2 to a mix of remaining big imprints and indie. Fingers crossed but hopes much more tempered this time.
In the meanwhile doing as everyone advises and working on a new project but it really doesn't make the process easier.
Any news from others?

Offline mdavis97

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 05:29:36 PM »
Submissions is such a weird world... I'm learning that nobody talks about it when they're there. It's feels taboo or something. Found this forum after hours of combing the internet and it's 4 months old! Anyone still out there?

Seriously, I'm hoping submissions went well for both of you. I'm in a similar situation- picked up by a small agency with a good track record, quick round of revisions, off to editors. I've only been on submissions for three weeks and I've gotten three rejections. One weird thing my agent is doing is that she's giving the round one editors only a month to respond, and as far as I can tell, that's not normal. But I don't know.

Any updates on how it's been for you guys so far?

Offline francis-montgomery

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2021, 12:48:57 PM »
Well, I've just passed the year mark for my first sub... we're on round three, but I gave up hope on this book around round two of submissions. It's really disheartening, but I've read about a lot of authors who didn't debut with their first book. I managed to write another book during the long wait and I'm hoping my agent will get back to me with feedback on it soon.

It's comforting knowing that I'm not alone, wading in the trenches of submissions. Good luck to all of you! Stay strong!

Offline rogber

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 02:17:57 PM »
Well, I've just passed the year mark for my first sub... we're on round three, but I gave up hope on this book around round two of submissions. It's really disheartening, but I've read about a lot of authors who didn't debut with their first book. I managed to write another book during the long wait and I'm hoping my agent will get back to me with feedback on it soon.

It's comforting knowing that I'm not alone, wading in the trenches of submissions. Good luck to all of you! Stay strong!

Can I ask what kind of genre are you working in and how have you and your agent deal with rejections? Was there some issue highlighted that prompted revisions before you start submitting again, or was it just that the book simply hasn't found the right editor who fell in love with it? And has your relationship to your agent shifted at all during the process? This is a topic that comes up a lot and that I've also thought about: an agent-author relationship is a bit like falling in love, it starts with such promise and hope. But when things don't work out as planned it's understandable that both parties can start to view the other in a different light.

As for me, I'll give an update on my situation soon! But I can definitely echo what many people on the forum who didn't get a rapid sell have said: being on submission is the hardest thing I've ever dealt with as a writer. I know unagented writers view it is an enviable position, but there's something really agonising about being so close to achieving that career goal but that last door just not opening as agent and writer hoped...

Offline jackson

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2021, 10:39:15 AM »
Hey everyone -

I'm on submission and have gotten plenty of rejections. Last night my agent told me about a rejection from my ideal editor. It was a "glowing rejection" which made her feel good. I have long dreamed of working with this editor. She had very nice things to say, but I'm wondering this about their rejections letters: how polite are these editors being? Obviously they can't be rude. If they say specific nice things, should I take that to heart that the novel is pretty good and I shouldn't change those things? Especially if one editor contradicts the other? For instance, this editor loved something another one said was lacking.

I really don't know where to go with all this submission stress and grief, ha. I'm starting to think the book is not as good as I thought it was, which I know you've all felt (or anyone who has gotten rejections). I'm trying not to let it make me miserable. And today I promised myself I would start writing my second work. But I think I'm depressed? This last editor I loved really got to me, even though she was so nice.

Does anyone have good news to report? Or a success story after getting a bunch of rejections? I guess I'm looking for some more sub stats and stories. Even though every single one is different.

It's a part of a writer's life, but dang it hurts to be this close and keep getting no's every week.

We're headed straight into the holidays so I know things are about to slow down massively too. Sending my best vibes to those pushing through and working hard to make it happen for themselves. Keep going.

Offline spencer417

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2021, 11:30:38 AM »
Jackson, I feel you! I'm on sub right now too and those "glowing rejections" sometimes hurt the most because it's that "so close and yet so far" feeling. I feel like if an editor is being specific about something positive, they most likely mean it. I have some writer friends who have received form rejections on sub, which is probably more of a go-to when they can't think of anything to say but want to be polite.

I wish I had something helpful to offer other than you are definitely not alone. It's hard too, after spending so much time in the query trenches and waiting, to be back in that feeling of waiting. Especially as we head into the holidays and things slow down further. I'm rooting for you and everyone else who is currently on sub -- I hope we all get good news soon. <3

Offline jackson

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2021, 07:59:30 AM »
Thanks so much for the kind reply Spencer! Yes I guess I'm ready for that radio silence during the holidays. A break from the rejections. I didn't even know you could get form rejections on sub! I've just been imagining the agent-editor relationships are being nourished there. Well, I suppose that makes me feel better.

How are you handling? How long have you been on sub? Thank you for reaching out. We can do this.

Offline rogber

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2021, 02:55:48 PM »
Hi Jackson I feel for you. Those glowing reviews are almost the worst. You start to feel "if even the people who think the book is good aren't willing to actually buy it, what hope is there? Maybe it's just missing a cetain X factor to push it over the line?" And then the self-doubt starts.  And sometimes I fall into the trap of thinking about books I've read recently, and particularly the ones I considered bad, and say "if even that book found a publisher how could mine possibly not? am I deluded and my book is actually worse than stuff I consider rubbish and I just can't see it?" But then I remind myself that my agent loves it and believes it can sell. Only then it's back to "but when why isn't it happening?"

I really don't know what the solution is. Yeah, write new work. But even that I've found hard, asking myself if my current book doesn't sell why spend another year or two on a new book that also probably won't sell? Of course that's not the reason to write a book anyway but it's really difficult not to slide into these negative thought loops.

As for standard rejections, even that's a luxury. My agent has had quite a few non-responses, just like people now get from agents. No answer = no interest.

Despite all that, we have a glimmer of hope at the moment, but it could easily amount to nothing, so I'll say no more about it till we hear more.

Has anyone had a good time on submission recently?!

Offline jackson

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2021, 12:45:55 PM »
Thank you for your reply, rogber. I got a non-glowing review before Thanksgiving, and honestly it all feels bad, ha! Yes, reading a bad or lackluster book drives me crazy, and my book has so much to offer and it makes me scratch my head for sure. I am going to start the book brewing in my head in December and just kind of let it be. Give it away and let my worries about this go. I have a lot going on in my personal life right now, and I just need to focus on one day at a time, and that will help me get through the days. It didn't take off like a firework and that's okay. There's still hope and I'm thankful for it.

Yes I keep thinking: I got an agent and she loves it! And I love it.

As for your glimmer of hope, I'm praying it turns into a spark that lights a fire. I hope you hear such good news. Same goes to Spencer and everyone else out there. Please tell us your good news! We want to hear a good story! Much love.