Author Topic: Web serializing  (Read 852 times)

Offline tbdavidson1

Web serializing
« on: June 22, 2021, 02:20:32 PM »
After 20 or so rejections, I can take the hint it's time to give up and move on.
Can anyone recommend a good site to post it on so at least all my efforts weren't totally wasted?
I was thinking Wattpad but my book is not YA.

Offline clutzattack

• Groundwire
Re: Web serializing
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 03:48:59 PM »
20 rejections is nothing, so I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet. However, I do recall reading somewhere that Amazon has a new program they are beta rolling out that is similar to Wattpad. Readers buy tokens and for a 100k novel, the author would net about $4 per book.

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 08:05:28 PM »
Amazon's program is called Kindle Vella. It just rolled out last week, I believe.

Offline Missus Braidyhead

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 11:06:39 PM »
I'd wait before trying Kindle Vella. KDP isn't really promoting it yet. Everyone reading on the platform seems to be either authors, or the few readers that authors are able to bring in. And most readers that indie authors are bringing in aren't exactly a serial-reading audience.

Also: Amazon is allowing readers to return individual episodes, which I think is total crap.

Some Vella authors are waiting it out to see what the bonuses might be (I think we'll find out later this month). I had a few stories up, but I pulled them because the episode returning thing pissed me off. 

Radish is a good option if you're writing romance. You could serialize on your website or do a Patreon a la NK Jemisin. There are a lot of other serial apps popping up (seems like a new one contacts me every week), but I'd tread with caution.

It would be a lot faster & possibly easier to make money (depending on the book, your platform, your marketing skills) to just publish the manuscript as a book if you're giving up on querying. But like clutzattack said, 20 rejections isn't enough of a sign to give up on querying just yet, if traditional publishing is your dream.

Offline Donnettetxgirl

• Romance author Donnette Smith
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2021, 08:32:48 AM »
I think 20 rejections is not even close to throwing in the towel. Have you gotten any feedback on the rejections you have gotten? Have you tried submitting to small presses, or have you been exclusively subbing to agents?