Author Topic: A little quiet ain't it?  (Read 1209 times)

Offline jonny_555

• I live in the UK but aim to publish in the US.
Re: A little quiet ain't it?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2021, 08:25:53 AM »
On this topic, I came across this recent video (mentioning the very post from Jennifer). Worth a watch. It also includes some numbers of what editors were getting before, during, and "post" Covid. It's quite a ride so brace yourselves ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gJHVg8n2uM

« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 01:15:35 AM by jonny_555 »
Find the blessing in your curse

Offline rogber

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2021, 03:59:03 PM »
In a lot of cases, silence is the new rejection. At least in the UK ever more agents now put this on their website: "If you haven't heard from us in 8-12 weeks you can assume your book isn't for us," or something similar. Other agents will write "we try to respond to every submission".
So just read carefully, the answers are usually there. I submitted to about 30 agents with my novel, about a third never replied. Then it got picked up by an agent who just loved it (but who now can't sell it...with a few publishers also taking the silence route.)
As always, talent, persistence, a lot of patience, and a little luck, and sometimes it can work out....

Offline jonny_555

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2021, 02:50:09 AM »
Hello rogber,

The UK's way more on the silent side compared to the US in general I find, much slower too but some could argue that is an overall thing about the UK :)

A friend of mine (who worked a decade in the book industry up until 2019--he doesn't write though) believes it's more about who you know in the industry here in the UK, but I tried querying anyway. I only got one reply from a round of about 30 UK agents sent back in May/early June. Some articles say UK agents pick up new querying authors all the time but hey, who knows what is gospel anymore (not that it ever was easy to tell). This is a sentiment going back before 2019/2020. Recent agent videos are all so friendly and inviting and they seem really genuine about wanting new talent.

The movie industry is just as bad, at least for those trying to land agents for their scripts. "Crickets" is a common term now.

Well done on landing an agent though - as you know, that is a massive achievement! What genre out of interest?

Offline rogber

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2021, 03:08:50 PM »
Hey Jonny I'm sure if you get a recommendation from someone your material gets read quicker, but I don't think it necessarily helps to get picked up. I really think the work is the main thing, and in some cases nowadays maybe personal profile and identity.
My material is literary fiction, but on the more accessible end of the scale, not wildly experimental. and yours?
If you sent out in May/June, it's early days yet.
For example I submitted to a big agent last May or so. About three months later they requested the full. They then had the full for almost six months before I followed up because I had this offer from another agent! They then read it really quickly but ultimately passed.
However, with the agent I did get, it all went very fast: submitted opening 30 pages (early this year, more than 6 months into my agent search), she wrote back a few days later requesting the full. About a week after that offered representation.
As so often in life, when it's meant to happen, it seems it happens quickly.
Several agents also said to me that with corona everything is much slower, though at this stage that's really shouldn't be such an issue.

Offline jonny_555

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2021, 05:01:42 AM »
Interesting, it seems people are having more success with literary work than with commercial as of late. You'd think it would be the other way around!

I write commercial fiction in the YA/MG space. But going to have a swing at adult horror after my next two books. All the rejection has birthed a dark side in me haha!

Your success so far is very encouraging, and so true how it takes forever to get to that tipping point, and then boom! It all just happens. I suppose now you're on that sub rollercoaster so it's another wait and see situation (which I'm told is even more nerve-racking).

« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 01:12:25 AM by jonny_555 »

Offline Donnettetxgirl

• Romance author Donnette Smith
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2021, 08:39:04 AM »
Yes, it is slow. I noticed this when I shopped my manuscript around this past January. I only queried 2 agents and 4 publishers. I heard back from 3 publishers. 2 rejections and one acceptance. I never did hear back from either agent to this day. It seems The Wild Rose Press has got things under control though. From the time I submitted to them in March, the next day I heard back from Rhonda Penders. She had forwarded my submission to one of the editors for further review. From there, within days I heard from the editor. It took her about a month to review the full, and I had my contract. The book has gone through editing, and the release date is set for September, 8th. In fact, I just submitted the second book in the series to her. She did tell me it may take her 90 days to get to it, but she said that about the first book and it only took her a month. So, I think publishers are handling the chaos better than agents right now.