Author Topic: Resubmit to Agent?  (Read 505 times)

Offline Jack_Zipes

Resubmit to Agent?
« on: July 09, 2021, 12:09:23 AM »
Hi, everyone.

I'm new to this site, new to querying, new to everything about publishing.

I recently sent a query letter just to test out the waters, thinking that nothing would ever come out of it. I was surprised when an agent wrote back and said he wanted the full manuscript. In my excitement, I did!

After days of constantly checking my inbox every 15 minutes, I returned to the manuscript and saw so many writing mistakes in it. I was/am embarrassed. I've been editing. This is my second round of editing.

I checked the agent's website and learned that they take three months for their response time. This got me thinking: should I write to the agent and ask if I could send the cleaner ms?

Has anyone tried to resubmit their ms to an agent with a similar situation? Let me know your thoughts/stories. Thanks!

Offline Sandbox

Re: Resubmit to Agent?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 08:32:04 AM »
I'm sure people will say don't do this, but I did it and it was no big deal. Basically, I wrote the agent and said I recently received some valuable feedback and have implemented the changes. If you haven't started reading yet, would you mind if I sent the revised version? She wrote back and said yes.
If the agent is excited about the project, this should not tarnish things. And the agent should want the best version because it is in their best interest.
Does it make you look kind of stupid? Maybe. But people make mistakes/can be stupid and you would hope an agent recognizes this and responds in a reasonable manner.
Good luck! And I'd venture to say plenty of people have been in this same position.

Offline Tabris

• I rock!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 09:30:11 AM »
If they're significant changes, I would suggest going ahead and sending the updated version of the manuscript.

Offline Jack_Zipes

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 11:59:58 PM »
Thank you so very much, Sandbox and Tabris. Your responses are very helpful.

If others have similar experiences and are comfortable sharing them, please do. I'll do my best to look at the discussion topics and help out others as best as I can with my limited experience in publishing.

Thanks, all, for supporting this newbie.